Reminders.app backup and iCloud

I know this is something other people have asked online, but I would like to backup my Reminders. So I have 2 questions:

1 - There’s this location ~/Library/Reminders which some people already mentioned as the location where the reminders are stored. If I backup that folder on a regular basis and something happens, is it enough to just move one of the older versions back into that location? Or is there something else?

2 - When it comes to iCloud in general, but this also helps me understand how my Reminders are back-up by Apple, is iCloud the main place where everything is stored and then whatever we have on our devices is just a synced version of it? So even if the Reminders on my Mac disappear, I would be able to access them via the iCloud website, making it easier to then recreate those on my device, if needed, or just resync with the device?

Still related to iCloud: how reliable is it when it comes to not deleting Reminders (or any other data for that matter) randomly? I’m still using Todoist and I am able to backup all my reminders and they are saved as CSV files, which is great. I just wanted to rely more on the Apple products, rather than having more and more apps.

Thank you

Recently there was a post from a forum member whose reminders were irretrievably lost, despite having backups and iCloud sync. Caveat emptor (unfortunately I seem to be using this phrase more and more lately :frowning_face:).

2 Likes

This may not be much help to you, but for what it may be worth, although I’ve had periodic issues with Apple Notes, I’ve never had a problem with Reminders. I’ve never lost any of my reminders and they sync instantaneously. I know others have had a different experience.

1 Like

Oh wow. That sucks…
One of the options, and I used that in the past, is to use the iPhone to use the “Print” option so you can have a PDF version. I mean, it’s not perfect, but if you lose the Mac and the iCloud version, at least you don’t lose everything…

I’ve never used Reminder enough to experience any issues. Been using Todoist for a while now, but I think I went so “minimalistic” with how approach my tasks, that Reminders is probably more than enough, along with the Calendar.

For Notes, I got a script that allows me to backup all notes as HTML files. Not a perfect solution, but it saves all your Notes, just in case.

I don’t remember where I got it from, but there’s this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/applescript/comments/144kjsq/script_for_automatic_backup_of_apple_notes/

And the one I use now:

Summary
set rootFolder to "" & (path to home folder) & "My Files:Backups:Notes:" -- EDITED
-- set notesBackupsFolder to rootFolder & "Notes Backups:"
set currentDate to do shell script "/bin/date \"+%Y-%m-%d, %I.%M.%S %p\""

tell application "Finder"
	-- try
	-- 	folder notesBackupsFolder
	-- on error
	-- 	make new folder at folder rootFolder with properties {name:"Notes Backups"}
	-- end try
	set exportFolder to make new folder at folder rootFolder with properties {name:"Notes Backup, " & currentDate}
	set exportFolder to exportFolder as text -- THIS, ADDED
end tell

-- Simple text replacing
on replaceText(find, replace, subject)
	set prevTIDs to text item delimiters of AppleScript
	set text item delimiters of AppleScript to find
	set subject to text items of subject

set text item delimiters of AppleScript to replace
	set subject to "" & subject
	set text item delimiters of AppleScript to prevTIDs

return subject
end replaceText

-- Get an HTML file to save the note in.  We have to escape
-- the colons or AppleScript gets upset.
on noteNameToFilePath(noteName)
	global exportFolder
	set strLength to the length of noteName

if strLength > 250 then
		set noteName to text 1 thru 250 of noteName
	end if

set fileName to (exportFolder & replaceText(":", "_", noteName) & ".html")
	return fileName
end noteNameToFilePath

tell application "Notes"

repeat with theNote in notes of default account

set noteLocked to password protected of theNote as boolean
		set modDate to modification date of theNote as date
		set creDate to creation date of theNote as date

set noteID to id of theNote as string
		set oldDelimiters to AppleScript's text item delimiters
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "/"
		set theArray to every text item of noteID
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oldDelimiters

if length of theArray > 4 then

-- the last part of the string should contain the ID
			-- e.g. x-coredata://39376962-AA58-4676-9F0E-6376C665FDB6/ICNote/p599
			set noteID to item 5 of theArray
		else
			set noteID to ""
		end if

if not noteLocked then

set fileName to ("[" & noteID & "] " & (name of theNote as string)) as string
			set filepath to noteNameToFilePath(fileName) of me
			set noteFile to open for access filepath with write permission
			set theText to body of theNote as string
			write theText to noteFile as Unicode text

close access noteFile

tell application "Finder"

set modification date of file (filepath) to modDate
			end tell
		end if

end repeat

end tell

I’ve been using Obsidian more and more and maybe I will eventually transfer all my notes there, because it allows for more things that Notes doesn’t, plus the fact that each note is a markdown file on my computer, easily “backup-able” :wink:

I wish Apple had the Export Notes/Reminders feature implemented, just like Calendar and Contacts. Those are super easy to backup

I’ve used the Exporter app to backup Apple Notes to markdown files and it works great.

2 Likes

This looks awesome! Thanks for sharing.
And the fact that it converts to markdown, is amazing, because then I just need to put them inside my Obsidian vault :slight_smile:
Thanks!

For Notes, I got a script that allows me to backup all notes as PDF files. Not a perfect solution, but it saves all your Notes, just in case.

I handle this by importing Apple Notes as markdown files to a DEVONthink archive database. I can access them in multiple formats and convert them as needed. I found this solution to be the best of both worlds; I have all the advantages of using Apple Notes and also have them as markdown files in DEVONthink and can use DEVONthink’s rich feature set as needed.

1 Like

I use an app that is developed by the same company (EasyFind), have seen the name DEVONThink here and there, but I’m not familiar with the app itself.

I will do some research. Thank you

1 Like