Reminders vs Things/Omnifocus

Actually, DEVONthink 3 on the Mac offers custom metadata for anything you add. Unfortunately DEVONthink To Go on i*OS doesn’t reflect that metadata yet (and badly needs updating otherwise). But! If DTTG is ever updated to have this data and handles it with good UX, I could convince myself to roll my own task manager.

This is a major gripe I have with Fantastical on iOS. There really should be a Day view available. I used to use BusyCal, but it hasn’t been updated for the new Reminders backend.

3 Likes

It’s the month view that frustrates me. I like to be able to look at a month view and see what’s up at a glance, but all fantastical shows is dots. I realize it shows proper on MacOS, but not on iOS. Readdle Calendar and many others make it work just fine.

2 Likes

This is a great widget: https://eventail.app/

1 Like

You’re incorrect, Marty. L Todoist apps on Mac and iOS have seen regular updates. If they don’t move quickly enough to add features for someone who doesn’t use it, well… :man_shrugging:

Well, 4 updates in the last 10 months with no major feature update may seem enough for hobby users but it is not much for power users.

So an app you don’t own that isn’t right for you doesn’t update enough to your taste anyway. Um okay. :face_with_monocle: Plenty of power users use todoist around the world and would disagree with you. Different apps have different mixes of features that appeal to people.

I used Todoist, and I did not say it is not viable for power users. I was just pointing out that Todoist should increase its pace (kanban would be a great start) since it is in a very competitive market.

I personally hope for it since I like Todoist and it is one of my maybe solution in case I will have to implement a GTD solution for employees on different OS.

1 Like

Update for 2022

• Reminder has a projects and tags, but still no “repeat after completion” feature. No task review feature either.

I briefly tried Todoist and Reminders as alternatives to Omnifocus, but they fell short in features or price, or both.

I have to explain price. I already owned OF3 and went full circle away and back to it again. So using it doesn’t cost me anything, and I get all of the robust features. I would have to subscribe for Web access, which I might actually to at some point.

Also not, that I am a “subscription-cutter” who tries to not pay any subscriptions, so Todoist was painful in that regard.

I’m digressing a little… doing a review/refresh - I’m a long time OF user but don’t use to full extent & wonder if something less complex would be better. But my life is complicated. I have the full set of Things 3 as well so can go either way. What I’m getting stuck on is the “folders” structure.
For me, in “Work” there are 6 areas. Each then has various tasks, repeating tasks, and project within it. The way I’d do this with OF would be a folder for “work”, subfolders for each area of work, and then projects etc within those subfolders.
I tried this with things - and I can’t quite get my head round it - Area = work - then the only way I can see to subdivide is to do Project for the 6 areas & use headings like I would an OF project.
So I have a few questions - is there another way to divide this up? Am I so far into OF I just should stick with it? Or am I just needing to learn a new workflow?
Gentle answers only please :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not elegant, but I use ‘dummy areas’ to divide work and personal while retaining the ability to use areas and nested projects.

1 Like

The way I deal with this is I use the fact that Areas can have tags. I have a few Work Areas and a few Personal Areas. I tag each of them accordingly (Work or Personal) and then each task or project goes in the appropriate area. You can then filter the different views (Anytime, Upcoming, etc) by the tag. Tasks and projects will automatically inherit the tag from the area they reside in.