Remote learning, first kids' computers, teaching computer competency

I’m guessing I’m not the only one here that has a kid (or kids) home from school for at least this month with school closures due to the COVID-19 pandemic. How’s everyone coping with this new dynamic from a technology / Mac Power User perspective?

My wife and I now find ourselves in a new role in the facilitation of distance/eLearning. My 1st grader starts her new learning from home career today. At school, they’ve used iPads for Epic reading, SeeSaw, etc. I’ve been hesitant to provide an at-home iPad up to now. I’ve managed to limit screen time up to this point.

For the moment, I dug out my old 2009 era aluminum unibody MacBook 5,1, (500GB HDD and 4GB RAM) updated it to High Sierra, created a new user for my daughter, installed firefox and logged in to her educational websites. It is doing fine for now. I was tempted to hit OWC for a new SSD and max out the RAM with 8GB but am holding off for now since it seems to work fine for our needs. My daughter has already read some “eBooks” on it through Epic and is getting used to finding the right keys on the keyboard and using the trackpad.

Has anyone found any useful apps, games, tutorials for Macs that are age-appropriate for a 7-year-old?