Remote Mac Power On

I figure this is a long shot …

Is there a utility that can be used to power on a Mac remotely?

I recently replaced a 2018 Mac mini with a Mac Studio. I still have the Mini, installed under my desk. It is headless and I use Jump Desktop as the main method to access it.

I found a utility named Power Manger. Power Manger can power up a Mac based on a schedule. Which is pretty cool, but not quite what I’m looking for.

Any suggestions? Will I need to crawl under the desk to turn it on (a very first world problem I know).

Thanks.

Do you have any way to control a smart power plug? I just powered down my MBA, disconnected it from AC power and it booted as soon as I plugged it back in the AC adapter. So that might be one solution.

But you would have to have the mini log in automatically for this to work.

I’ve read that this is only possible if the Mac lost power abruptly, as opposed to if it was shut down properly.

Is there any reason not to leave the Mac on and asleep, and use something like Wake on LAN?

1 Like

Perhaps my test worked because my MBA is an M1? Or a laptop? It would be easy for @MevetS to test. And Wake on LAN should work if he has wired ethernet. edit: Looks like “wake for network access” might work with WiFi.

I really don’t know, I’ve never used either. Our Dell servers had iDRAC controllers (remote access) with their own network connection which allowed to power up and manage a box remotely.

@WayneG I do have a smart plug handy. I could try that.

@tf2 I currently use Jump Desktop to connect, and can do so to wake the Mini when it is sleeping. But it is thunderstorm season in my neck of the woods, and I lost a Mini to a strike last year (two direct hits in as many weeks), so I like to power things off. And we’ve a few trips planned this summer that I would shut it down while we’re away.

1 Like

I doubt that powering down the device but leaving it plugged in will help much against overcurrents due to thunderstorms.

If it can be powered on by software what you’re looking for, the power adapter and parts of the mainboard need to be plugged in.

2 Likes

It will be unplugged for sure!

Yes, that’s sensible.

I’d either use either use wake-on-lan (software only) or a smart plug - which will at least provide somewhat of a physical separation betweens mains and the Mac mini itself (though not protect very well against surges due to lightning near you).

To test this just power down the mini, pull the power cord out of the outlet, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in. If the mini boots, a smart plug should work.

If it is really unplugged, you will not be able to get it working again.
If you leave it plugged in, and be afraid of a lightning strike, there are extension cords with surge protection, which prevent the connected devices from damage by internal fuses (and so on).
To get the Mini awake, you can e.g. use

I was thinking that a SwitchBot might be the answer as well. I use a SwitchBot with an HDMI switch and it has worked well for me.

It would only be unplugged during the period that lightning strikes would be of concern, or when I am away. Otherwise it will be plugged in. :slight_smile:

I already have surge protectors and UPS systems in use.

I use Jump Desktop for remote access. I’m quite happy with it.

OK, than I don‘t understand your problem?
Sorry!

What I am doing (not very elegant, but it works):

• My Mac Mini enters Sleep Mode after not being in use for more than 30 minutes. It is running Jump Desktop Connect.

• It is connected to an Eve Energy Smart plug.

• If I am not at home and if I want to access my Mac, I will turn the Eve Smart Plug off (in case of it being on) and back on again.

• The Mac will Power On. It is available.

That is the only way I was able to reliably power on a Mac remotely (especially when I am not within the local wired or wireless network).

Like I said: not elegant and not nice. But there seems to be no other way. The alternative for reliable remote access seems to be to have the Mac running 24/7 without allowing it to sleep at all. And this is something I still am not 100% ready to do (yeah, I know).

So …

A SwitchBot has been ordered.

If it doesn’t work with the Mini I’ll repurpose it for the coffee machine!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

So, I had the opportunity to try this this morning.

It was not intentional.

We had a brief thunderstorm this morning and after the storm had passed, the power went out for at most a minute. I had just settled in to my home office to begin my work day.

The Mac mini lost power. It did not come back up.

Is there an option I need to set for auto restart after power loss?

1 Like

System Preferences > Energy Saver > “Start up automatically after a power failure”.

3 Likes

SwitchBot received and installed, and spoiler alert, works.

This morning we had thunderstorms and the system worked as intended. I shutdown the Mini, unplugged, and replugged after the storm. Clicked the SwitchBot on my iPhone and heard the startup chime. :slight_smile: I subsequently logged in remotely and went about my business.

I am happy.

4 Likes

On Saturday I had the opportunity to test this …

… we were installing a ceiling fan in our master bedroom, and my wife decided to flip the breaker for the whole house, instead of just the bedroom. While that did work, it was perhaps more than needed.

But, the Mac mini did reboot after the power was returned. And we have a ceiling fan.

So alls well that ends well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes