Repair Old MacBook Pro or Invest in New M3/Mac Studio?

Hello everyone,

I’m facing a dilemma with my 2019 2.4GHz MacBook Pro (64MB RAM, 4TB storage, 8GB Radeon graphics) which recently suffered a screen break due to a keyboard issue. The machine still runs, but the screen is almost entirely non-functional.

I primarily use my MacBook for 3D modeling and software development. With the screen damaged, I’m weighing my options and would love some community input:

1. Repair: Is it worth repairing this model given its specs, or is this more of a temporary solution?
  2. Upgrade to M3 Mac: I’ve been eyeing the new M3 Macs. Would this be a good time to upgrade, or should I wait for future models?
  3. Mac Studio and iPad Combo: Considering a Mac Studio for heavy lifting and upgrading my iPad for remote work. Thoughts on this setup for someone with my usage profile?
  4. Hold Off Entirely: Should I just fix the MacBook for now and use it with an external monitor until I can comfortably afford an upgrade?

I appreciate any advice, especially from those of you who might have faced similar decisions or have insights into the performance gains with the newer models.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Upgrade. The M series is amazing, especially in laptops, and is a huge upgrade over an old Intel Mac. I can’t speak to how it can handle your use cases, but I have little doubt it will be an improvement over an Intel chip.

I wouldn’t wait, if they do release a new chip this year, it’s doubtful it will be a huge improvement over the M3, and you obviously aren’t worried about being on the latest and greatest. Also, if you wait for the next new release, you end up waiting forever. If you need a machine now, buy a machine.

1 Like

Due to the reason you are using your computer, I would upgrade to the most powerful M3 series that you can afford. I have a MacBook Pro M3 Max and it handles everything I throw at it smoothly. I love the screen for my elderly eyes. Looks like you are focusing on desktop if you upgrade, I would stay away from the base M3 model. FWIW.

1 Like

FWIW, the M4 is rumored to be coming to the MBP later this year

With the high-end specs on your current hardware, you could probably keep running macOS on it longer before updating to the M series compared to someone with a lesser Intel Mac.

But whether you make the move now or later, it seems worth doing something with it afterward, whether that means using it as a powerful laptop with another OS (if you fix the screen) or as a headless server if you don’t.

Laptop - Upgrade now, next rev is probably not until the fall.

Mac Studio - Wait - possible M3 Mac Studio is imminent (if they don’t skip the M3)

Fix current laptop - probably not a good ROI, but might be lowest out-of-pocket cash flow.

I think the old saw “when should I upgrade” a Mac is probably true - If you are forever waiting, you will never upgrade. As soon as you upgrade, a new version of what you bought is sure to be announced.

FWIW, I have a Mac Studio M1. I skipped the M2 and waiting to see about an M3. Might skip that too and wait for the “AI enabled M4” next year :laughing:

I think the key is whether you would be comfortable doing the repair yourself. If so, repairing is viable. I’ve replaced a screen on a MBP and it wasn’t that hard.