Replacement for Copied app on Mac and iOS?

FYI, Paste is on sale :slight_smile:

It’s a clipboard recorder. On the Mac, it runs in the background and remembers everything you cut and copy to the clipboard. Then you can go in and find the items later.

On the iPhone and iPad it won’t run in the background in that fashion — which is near the top of my iOS/iPadOS wishlist! But there are workarounds to save items manually.

And Copied automates some simple text transformations. That works on all platforms, but it’s particularly useful on iPhone and iPad.

I find Copied makes shelf apps unnecessary on the iPhone and iPad.

According to App Store in iOS, Paste has also not been updated for over a year, similar to the last Copied update.

Ahh! You’re so right. Why do the other shelf apps not so this?!?

Probably going to start using Paste…

Ah, Paste doesn’t capture everything you copy. Only whatever’s in the clipboard when the app gets activated. (Widget activation counts, so on the iPad with docked widgets, this probably isn’t hard to upkeep.)

What is a shelf app? I’ve never seen that term before .

I use Uncluttered for Clipboard history management on the Mac , and haven’t thought about an app for iOS. Is that was Copied was?

Notes is fine for sharing text and iCloud for sharing files .

I believe Federico Viticci coined the term “shelf app” - or certainly popularised it.

It refers to an app you can (at least) drag things to - for storage. Usually temporary storage though none of the shelf apps on iOS throw away your data. So Gladys and Yoink would be two apps in that category. The “temporary” bit is the use case where you drag something to (or otherwise place in) the shelf app. Then you retrieve it in another app (or maybe another window of the same app, or even the same window, reused, of the same app).

Mostly I’m using Yoink as a shelf app on Mac - to move things from one folder to another. But with slide over you can have a shelf on iOS. In fact, with iOS 13 you can have multiple slide over apps. Not all of them on my iPad are shelves. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried this app and it works great so far. I love the text transformation because I am always floating between various editors.

Nooooo. The Shelf was originally a feature in Steve Jobs’s NeXTstep 30 years ago - each ‘finder’ window had an icon shelf. And that means it was popularized the year Federico Viticci was born. :eyes:

More than 15 years ago I used Karl Hsu’s free XShelf for the Mac to duplicate that functionality.

It’s been around a long time.

5 Likes

I stand corrugated. :slight_smile:

Katie

It’s interesting that Apple would feature an app that hasn’t been updated in over a year. Maybe this will energize the developer.