Replacement for Fantastical Openings?

My Fantastical subscription comes up for renewal shortly. I think I could mostly switch to BusyCal (via Setapp). The only thing I’m missing is Openings?

If you’re not familiar, Openings allows me to send out a link for people to book time with me, based on my existing appointments (over many calendars) and limited to whatever time block I set.

Is there something you use in its place? For the price I just can’t justify Fantastical anymore.

Really depends on your use case. For client bookings, I’ve been using a web-based booking service.

It is easier for them to deal with using a website rather than a direct invitation through calendar apps. Especially if they don’t use a calendar app on their end.

I use https://simplymeet.me because it is free for how I use it and supports multiple calendars.

Some of the other services I looked at charge a lot for accessing more than one calendar.

I supplement it with a paid Twilio account to send out SMS reminders (I found for my client base that really makes a difference).

Everyone I asked uses https://calendly.com/ but their paid plan to access more than 1 calendar wasn’t the right fit for me (and I would still have to pay additionally to use Twilio for SMS.)

2 Likes

Microsoft 365 has a “Bookings” feature (or at least it did, last I used it a year or so ago), if you already subscribe. There’s also Calendly, which I liked better, but used it so infrequently that I just used what I already had with Microsoft.

2 Likes

I can’t help you, sadly - but just wanted to give a +1 to BusyCal. I too have Setapp, and I’ve found that BC does 95% of what Fantastical does (and actually prefer the IOS widget and app layouts. The list view is especially nice!).

I will follow this thread to see if someone has any good tips for openings. :+1:t2: (I’ve only used stuff like Rallly and Strawpoll, but that’s not the same.)

2 Likes

My wife’s business uses Calendly and it costs more than Fantastical

1 Like

If your use case is client booking for a commercial business, it is hard to imagine a use case where the cost of Calendly is material. ROI is likely positive with a trivial number of new clients for most businesses.

1 Like

You can check cal.com or SavvyCal.com

As @Evan said, M365 has a Bookings web app (included in all M365 Business plans, including the cheapest one – Basic – that gives you 50+50 GB of mail storage, 1 TB of OneDrive and access to web apps).

The good thing is that it’s pretty flexible – you define your availability per day, and you can set up several different meeting options for people to choose from (e.g. “meet me for 30 mins”, “meet me for 1 hour”, etc.), it can also align meetings (to increments of 15 mins or similar), leave buffers between them etc. You get a public web link that you can share in your signature etc.

It, of course, won’t offer the slots if they are taken by other events on your M365 calendar, and the good thing is that it supports syncing to a personal calendar (e.g. I have it set up to sync with Gmail so for events it finds there it also knows I’m busy). The only issue is that you have multiple of those, I don’t think M365 supports pulling in more than one external calendar, except via calendar subscriptions.

2 Likes

Perhaps you didn’t intend the feeling this creates. My business has been unprofitable for sometime. I’ve reduced my salary and reduced the hours I pay my operations manager. Saving $C80/yr is small, but it is money I can pay my ops manager with.

I will turn my business around and grow to a much better place, in the meantime I will save every $$ I can.

So yes $80/yr matters. Perhaps next time before making a comment of this nature you might consider that some people aren’t doing as well they would like. A bit of empathy goes a long way.

3 Likes

@mina thanks both look interesting.

@dario and @Evan thanks M365 is an option

@SpivR Danke either simplymeet.me or @mina cal.com will do the trick nicely.

1 Like

No offense intended. It’s actually a suggestion on how to turn a business around and make a profit.

@rkaplan Unless you’ve experienced a similar business model, it is hard to imagine giving useful advice.

I would be happy to create deep, long term consulting work. However, my reputation and current business model is around selling courses. A flippant comment on a forum is unlikely to help.

Fair enough - best of luck - again no offense intended - just a suggestion, nothing else

I’ve been using the free version of Notion Calendar, even though I am not a Notion user. They have a way of creating a “snippet” to show available times to meet. Works really well for me. Might be limited to Google Calendars.

2 Likes

Trying Simplymeet.me - so far so good.

2 Likes