Request: Guests Joining Wifi Automation

Hey everyone!

I’d love to create a Shortcut that results in my Hue floodlights turning on when a friend or family member arrives to my home and joins my wifi.

We have a long driveway and when a friend or family member arrives, they re-join our wifi network. It would be awesome to have our Hue lights turn on similarly to when my wife and I arrive home. I know the lights turn on for us as a result of GPS and not connection to the wifi network l, but I’m trying to find a workaround. I’m not seeing any obvious solutions in Shortcuts and wonder if anyone else has tried this.

Thanks!

you can do it per device as an automation “turn on this scene when my phone connects to this wifi” but that is all. You would have to add the automation to all devices you want this to happen for.

Having Hue lights do this on change of wifi occupants would be needed, and as far as I know that is not possible, Hue does not have the option for it (and rightly so!)

Maybe just buy a Hue outdoor motion sensor?

3 Likes

If your lights and WiFi have APIs and you have a bit of programming experience then you could do probably do this fairly “easily”, but you’d likely need an always-on computer involved as well.

1 Like

:joy: so true but was hoping to not have to spend more $$$

My “hobby” is writing network management and automation software :slight_smile:

1 Like