Resizing with Shortcuts? 3000px to 196px

I am trying to create a Shortcut that will batch resize PNG files from 3000px X 3000px to 196px X 196 px.

I can create a short cut that will do that, however when I open the new file in Illustrator the image is terrible. I can resize these images one at a time in Illustrator of course and the clarity of the image is perfectly fine. I have used 3rd party apps to resize in bulk and the image quality is always unusable.

The PNG files are all QR Codes. The QR Codes are generated in Bulk from an online service through QR Code Monkey. I can only get Bulk creation in PNG format.

The QG codes are being made into stickers and have to be 196px or almost 2 inches square.

I have tried automating this with several apps and I always get an extremely pixelated result. I am open to most any software to automate this process if anyone can help with a solution.

Here is an example of a QR Code that needs to resized.

What is the dpi on the original image? Are you assuring that the dpi is not downsampled during the resize shortcut operation?

Have you tested ImageMagick or Graphic Converter in the automation process?

JJW

1 Like

Have a look at Retrobatch you can apply a resize and then a sharpen filter, you may need to experiment with the degree of sharpening applied

1 Like

Your attached file isn’t square, but running through Retrobatch seems to work fine.

Output is this - seems to scan fine at my end.
9x9x1_1

I am aware that the original file is not square. I think my problem is that the original file dpi is 72.

I am resizing the file to a 2 inch square.

No, sir.

I was trying to write an automation in photoshop. I checked and the original ppi is 72. I am changing that to 300 and then the file size to 1.7936 inches for now.

Thank you for the help.

I will give that a test and see what happens.
Thank you!

PNGs are pixel-based images, and pixels are pixels. DPI is just hinting to whatever is displaying them regarding how big you expect this image to be.

So if I have an image that’s 1200px x 1200px at 100 dpi, that’s a 12" image. Resize it to 1200px by 1200px at 300 dpi, it’s a 4" image - but the pixel data of the image itself doesn’t change at all.

Keeping that in mind, if I’m seeing the correct website, QR Code Monkey seems to have the ability for you to generate codes at smaller sizes.

I’d ask the sticker printer what resolution they can print at. I’d just about guarantee it’s 300 to 600 dpi, and I wouldn’t want to print a 96 dpi image on stickers - it would look horrible.

Then convert that DPI to pixels based on your intended output size (2" is 600 pixels at 300 dpi, or 1200 pixels at 600 dpi), and generate the codes natively at whatever resolution you need to make that happen.

5 Likes