Run 32 Bit apps in Catalina

Here is an example from my personal experience of the consequence of switching to Mac OS Catalina and losing functionality of older 32bit software.

Occasionally I need to use Adobe Photoshop 6 that I own a license for. I don’t want to upgrade to a current version that is only available with a costly monthly subscription service. Witch is the main reason for many people not wanting to upgrade to Mac OS Catalina because many of our more common software vendors require an expensive paid upgrade witch is often only available with a subscription.

An another reason for users not wanting to upgrade to a new version is the fear of having to get used to a new user interface.

I found a solution by using virtualization software like VMware Fusion, Parallels, or Oracle Virtualbox. This technology is commonly used to run MS Windows on a Mac. But it can also be used to run Mac OSX High Siera. Even a demanding application like Adobe Photoshop is working very well.

Using a virtual machine allows us to have the best of both worlds.
A current operating system that is more secure and has the latest features. While at the same time being able to hold on to some applications, we don’t want to let go off.

5 Likes

I installed El Capitan in VMWare to run Illustrator CS5 and Acrobat 9. Works well enough, and saves me from having to pay Adobe $40 a month more for occasional use.

1 Like