Runaway Apple Mail

Hey gang,

I’m curious as to what’s going on with Apple Mail on my 2019 MBP (MacOS 10.15.6). Whenever I launch it or switch to it, the processing goes crazy, the temperature quickly rises to about 200º, and the fans come on. When I quit, the temp drops back down to normal, around 115º.

There’s no real indication that Mail is even doing anything:
Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 9.51.04 AM

I composed and sent a very small, 5 line email, and in doing so, I used 4% of the battery!

Cheers!

Use Activity Monitor to see which processes are using resources and draining battery. In the mean time you might find this thread to be of use:

@bowline

Thanks for the response. As mentioned, it’s Mail that’s going bananas, and from what I can see there’s no rhyme or reason for it. I have several (9) different email accounts, and disabling the 2 Google accounts, does slightly make a difference, but not significantly. Based on what I’ve read online, this is only happening on MacBook Pro, and I can confirm that it’s not happening on my iMac (same accounts, same MacOS version, same version of Mail).

About six months ago, after several months of increasing problems with Mail, lockups, race conditions, and worse. And after trying many of the suggestions mentioned in the Reddit thread linked above, I gave up. I removed all my accounts from Mail, cleaned it out, and started over with Airmail. Thus far, it’s fine. And Airmail works just as well with SpamSieve as does Mail. Plus it looks like it was made in the current decade, unlike Mail.

1 Like

Which computer was this happening on?

I’ll investigate Airmail, as an alternative. Thanks!

2020 16" MBP running Catalina with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD. Should’ve been fine.

1 Like

Are you running the free or Pro version of Airmail? Are you also using it on iOS devices? Any issues, dislikes, gotchas, etc?

v4 Pro. It’s $9.99 / year, so not a burden. I use Airmail on the MacBook, 2 iPads and iPhone. Support is very responsive, though I don’t need much help. One weird glitch, when I create a Smart Folder in Airmail on macOS, the app crashes every time. But the folder gets created, and I don’t need to do this much anyway. I like everything about Airmail.

1 Like