Running Shortcuts using Time of Day

Not sure I understand the question but iPhone 10S MAX running iOS 14.0.1. (Happened on 14.0, too, if I remember correctly.)

Sorry just wondering what you do with an NFC tag and time of day automation.

It’s a Shortcut

Nothing. I’m just pointing out I get the same (unexpected) message when I tap on an NFC tag. I wonder if the two issues are related.

1 Like

Came here, because I was wondering about the same thing.

I have an NFC tag above my water kettle which I used to tap since iOS 12 (?)/when NFC triggers to Shortcuts were introduced to set different timers. Since iOS 14.0.1 (at least) it prompts me to first confirm that the Shortcut should be run. That wasn’t the case before and is a step backwards.

Can someone confirm that this also existed in iOS 14?

1 Like

water kettle

This is not exactly on topic, but now I’m curious about what other kinds of kettles there are…

Closer to on-topic: do you run a tea timer with that NFC tag? That is very clever!

@wolfie Interesting… I have many questions, but I’ll make Google answer them.

All: I just caught this tip on Reddit:

Anyone that’s on iOS 14.0.1 that have automations that aren’t going off, try deleting and rebuilding those automations

(there’s no other info in the link, but it has 6 upvotes. Haven’t tried it myself yet.)

1 Like

I’m on 14.0, and my time of day shortcuts are running fine. I still get an alert when they run, but I do not have to tap to continue. they are continuing to run without my interacting.

now I’m nervous to do the 0.1 update…

oooh! got it!! thanks :slight_smile:

I just created an automation to run a Shortcut to vibrate my device as a test and it worked.

I then changed the above Shortcut to vibrate the device, and then run another Shortcut to turn my torch on, and this also worked, so it seems rebuilding the Shortcut might work.

PS: turning a torch on as part of a time of day automation could be a pretty mean prank to play on someone!

I’m also finding the automations just don’t even run a lot of the time with no obvious issue. I don’t even get the notification that the shortcut is being run (it’s like the automation doesn’t even try to fire).

Same here. So frustrating.

Issue for me since updating to 14.0.1. This was all running fine in 14.0. For me, Automations stop working at exactly midnight and they will not start working again until I restart my phone. Issue occurring on my iPad also and it happens every night without fail. I updated my phone to iOS 14.2 public beta 2 and it has not changed.

I’ve posted about this on reddit and Automators, but I haven’t been able to find a fix yet.

Is there a way to turn off those notifications?

Can I just check that you haven’t found a way to run the same shortcut every half hour?

I found that when the scheduled shortcuts weren’t running, Backtap didn’t work either.

I might have the same problem.

Yesterday I created a bunch of shortcuts to update a Charty graph that displays the production data of my solar panels every 2 hours. While I did get 2 notifications of a shortcut being executed, the graph was still empty. When I ran the shortcut manually the graph did show production data from sunrise until now.

I have not, I manually added an automation for those to occur every half hour. They are the same shortcut so used copy and paste to make it a lot easier

1 Like

So an interesting update today. @rob suggested that running a shortcut could get things going again, but I am often asleep before midnight so I couldn’t do it manually. Instead, I generated a shortcut to trigger when I received a specific email which I automated to send out right after midnight.

I scheduled an email to be delivered at 12:08 AM - unfortunately, Shortcuts didn’t pick up the email until 12:50 AM, but it did kick my 30 minute timed shortcuts back in to gear. What is interesting is it skipped over my 12:15 and 12:45 shortcuts since they occurred before the email came in.

1 Like

Timed shortcuts seem to be incredibly hit and miss. They sometimes run for me, but mostly they don’t

Update: the latest beta of iOS 14.2 seems to mostly solve the problem for me. The caveat is I can’t get any automations to run between 12AM and 1AM local EDT time.

My theory: This bug was preventing automations after 12AM somehow by getting the system ‘stuck.’ I think they’ve fixed this from breaking the whole system, but it is odd that there’s a one hour gap where time of day automations simply won’t run.