Running with a MBP?

I am getting back to run-commuting to work. I routinely run with an iPad Air in my running pack, but was always a little nervous in the days of spinning hard drives.

Today, is there any reason that running with a 14" MBP M1 is a bad idea, in terms of the welfare of the machine? Any best practice like switching the MBP off while on the move?

(My back and shoulders are another story I know but I have a good running pack that distributes the weight nicely).

Sorry I’m not answering you, but couldnot resist given the title of the thread.

6 Likes

That’s ok – that’s in fact EXACTLY what I look like after just getting up and slogging to work in the dark. :joy:

4 Likes

I think as long as it’s tightly secured in the bag, it’d be just fine.

1 Like

Just put it in sleep mode. The modern MacBook is effectively an iPad with a screen and a keyboard. The only real risk would be if something happened to you, which caused damage to the computer.

Since the MacBook is heavier, I would also try to make sure that it was secured as tightly against your body as is reasonably possible. Angular force from it jostling might not be good. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It reminds me of the 2011 “Lunch Tray” 17 inch MacBook Pro :grinning:

1 Like

This x1,000. Invest in a good backpack that can keep it tight against you back.

1 Like

Years ago I bicycled to work with my laptop Ina backpack. It was powered off and never had an issue with the spinning drive. The backpack had excellent padding with a separate compartment for the laptop. I don’t think you will have any problems.

1 Like

Thanks friends for your sage advice.

I used to run commute with a variety of laptops (not all Apple, sorry to say) - never had any kind of issue as a result

1 Like

I do this as well, and in fact run one way and cycle home [using a bike share program], so either my MacBook Air or iPad Pro experiences the movement of a run and the bumps of a bike ride a few days a week. I’ve been doing this a couple of years now with no apparent issues with the devices. (I use a Tom Bihn Synik with the light Halcyon fabric, FWIW, and just drop the device in the padded laptop pocket.)

1 Like

Thanks @cwc . Now please don’t tempt me any further with expensive backpacks :slight_smile: :wink:

1 Like

Anecdotal info maybe not relevant :slight_smile:

My only suggestion is to make sure your backpack is water resistant. In my experience fluids (of all sorts, water being the least obnoxious, sheep stuff being somewhat worse but bulls being beyond the pale) are FAR more of an issue than the occasional jostle or low impact drop. I would put the machine to sleep to reduce potential disk damage but seriously, there are other things more likely to cause you problems compared to the relatively low effects of a human running.

3 Likes

My first Kindle fell foul of this in a Patagonia Black Hole bag many years ago during a cycle commute. Definitely one to keep in mind!

1 Like

For a new backpack I know is going to hold tech and be outside, I give it a thorough soaking to test it before using it. Better to ruin a new backpack that was subject to marketing trickery than an expensive Apple device.

This is because I live in the UK though, and torrential downpours happen. They’re not regular, but if you get caught out in one your day is already ruined without your belongings being wet too. I killed a “back in the day” very expensive Samsung phone that way and learned my lesson.

1 Like

+1

And if not, I would use “ziplock” bags. My 11 in iPad Pro will fit in a generic 1 gallon size bag, and I’ve seen 15”x15” brand name Ziplock bags. I started carrying sandwich size bags for my electronics when walking/hiking years ago.

Edit: Turns out they are also available in 24 x20 inch size.

2 Likes

All laptop users at work were required to bring their devices home every night. An AeroStich canvas messenger bag with a sturdy rubberized coating inside, slung across my back, worked great for commuting to work on my motorcycle. My first approach, which was to strap a padded bag containing the laptop to my luggage rack, turned out to be a very bad idea. Way too much in the way of vibration and hard knocks. Let’s just say my IT department was not happy with me.

1 Like

TIL there’s a thing called “run-commuting” (although apparently I have already practiced it in some wintry days without realization)… Could you please point me to some more discussions on the topic?

On the subject of water resistance in bags, my wife had a waterproof handbag and that led to her destroying an iPad: the water bottle inside leaked!

Luckily that is the first and only time I had bought Apple Care, so we got it replaced :relieved:

Well there isn’t much more to it than the name suggests: combine your running routine with your work commute if where you live in relation to work allows it! Some logistics planning helps to run as light as you can and still have your stuff in the right places.

In my case, its a way to save some time around busy work and family life (and admittedly, to have at least one feel-good achievement before I start a workday which can go any which way…). The running online communities have occasional discussions about this, but common sense prevails (here; here, or here).

2 Likes