SafeInCloud Password Manager

With as it seems all Mac users talking about (and using?) this one password manager (pun intended), I’d like to point people to a very viable alternative: SafeInCloud Password Manager.

It’s not just that it hasn’t a subscription model, but it’s also available in Mac, iOS and Android. And it syncs whichever way you prefer. Including WebDAV thankfully.

And recently I discovered this very nice feature, which may have been there for a while but I didn’t notice yet: SafeInCloud Password Manager tracks the history of your passwords. So each time you change a password, you can also see previous versions. I used to keep track of that in a notes field. But this of course is much better and safer.

Available in the app stores. And the Mac version - which is free b.t.w. - can also be gotten via Brew Cask, which makes it easy to keep it up-to-date.

1 Like

I would not recommend this app. There are several problems:

1. It is not reputable.
  2. Developer seems to be a Russian national.
  3. It is not open-source.

Also apps like 1Password and BitWarden are independently audited (here’s 1Password’s page on it; and BitWarden’s).

3 Likes

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Seems you’re all heavily invested in 1Password.

I am in now way related to the developer of SafeInCloud. I don’t even know the person/company. Just a user of the program on both Mac, iOS and Android. And, contrary to SplashId, I didn’t have any problems with the app at all.

The fact that somebody mentions that the app is developed by a Russian developer is pretty appaling. Especially since you have no clue who he (or she?) is. Apart from that, quite a lot of apps nowadays are developed in countries other than the US or mainland Europe. May I remember people here that Macpaw is based in Ukraine. A country that - depending to whom you’re talking - has close relationships with Russia. Still though, a lot of people have no issue using SetApp or CleanMyMac.

SafeInCloud (and a lot of other password managers for that matter) does not store any information in any cloud database that is under control of the developer. So as long as you keep you computer and/or cloud storage safe, I can’t see any issues.

That being said, I’ll stop pointing people to alternative applications. Point taken. Good luck and goodbye.

When it comes to security, it is very relevant where the developer is based. It also important to know where your data is located. Even countries like US are actually risky.

The fact that an app hasn’t been audited does not imply it’s less secure. Only that the current situation is unknown. Which is a risk some people may find acceptable. Risk being defined as impact x likelihood. So that’s not the same for everybody. The impact for a company Apple’s size being much, much higer than it is for me (or you).

On a side note: I noticed 2 audits for 1Password date from 2015. The value of these audits, apart from making good marketing collateral, is irrelevant for the current state of the application. One (small) mistake of a programmer may have a big impact. And no software is without flaws. No software at all. Not even software that’s supposed to fly an airplane carrying 200 passengers.

Don’t all these Apps claim that data is encrypted locally on your system (with a key only you know), so they are unable to decrypt your data on their server (wherever that is)?

1 Like

That was a general comment.