Scanning docs ... sans Scanner

Morning everyone :sunny:

I’m reviewing all my hardware needs and one that has come under scrutiny is my trusty Fujitsu ix500. Great device. One of those that was a “why did I wait so long?”

That said, with advancements is scanning tech and mobile phones, has anyone reverted from the Fujitsu to something else (i.e. not a physical scanner) that has proven quite adequate?

The ix500 offers many advantages for sure (double sided scanning, multiple formats (even plastic cards (Driver’s licenses)) but as most information becomes electronic has anyone found another way to manage this type of task?

Cheers

I gave up my document scanner for scanner pro by Readdle, even for multi page documents.

For photos, I kept a flatbed scanner around.

2 Likes

I’m still rocking my ScanSnap S1500 that’s pushing 10 years old. It does the job so why consider anything else. I occasionally scan items with my iPhone or iPad but prefer the S1500.

As you mention more items are delivered electronically these days so I have far less to scan.

2 Likes

Thanks guys.

Will probably keep the Fuji. Looking to clear the desk-space a bit. Might put it away and see if I need to pull it out over the next 6 months or so.

I needed to scan my Drivers License today. Used the “scan document” on Apple Notes, which was surprisingly good.

I have ScannerPro too. I’ll compare it with AN.

Cheers

Scanner Pro here. It meets all my needs for the type of “scanning” I do!

2 Likes

Had to laugh because, right next to Apple Notes… :unamused:

1 Like

I’m using the scan feature in Craft that dumps it right into my Inbox. Not sure if that helps your use case but is working for me.

1 Like

I’ve been using the document scanning function built into the iPhone’s Files app, I usually use that rather than messing about with the flatbed scanner we have. You can scan multiple pages into a single PDF very quickly and easily. The only drawback I’ve found so far is you need to smooth out any creases so that the document will lay flat by itself.

1 Like

I’m using the scanner in Notes. Seems to work very well in terms of the scan quality, file size, speed of synching, etc. on the iOS 15 beta, I have to say, having the instant OCR is super neat. I’ve used it a few times in Files app too and works just as well.

2 Likes

ScanThing is amazing.

1 Like

I still use my ix500 when there are several pages to scan, but for one-page docs, I use Genius Scan.

I experimented with several scanning apps but I like GeniusScan because:

1. I found it recognises the edges of the paper faster
    and more accurately

2. It let me set up rules to automatically file docs into specific cloud/Dropbox folders depending on document tags

The OCR is acceptable, but not in the same class as Abbyy Finereader.

1 Like

I use ABBYY FineReader on iOS and find it to have the best OCR. I tried Scanner Pro and found the OCR lacking. It’s also a really nice page detection algorithm.

It’s an expensive one time purchase though (or a sub), so I can only recommend it if you do a lot of scanning.

1 Like