Scanning field notes booklet?

Several times On the MPU podcast I’ve heard Stephen mention that he scans his field notes books before he stores them on his bookshelf.
I know there are many ways to scan individual sheets with your iPhone and multiple pages with something like a scan snap document scanner, but I’m curious how to efficiently scan the multiple pages in a small book like field notes?

1 Like

If you want a proper scan without taking the book apart, you’ll want a flatbed scanner. You can set up an area to be scanned so that you don’t have to preview it before every scan. Just flip the page, put it back in the same place and hit the scan button.

This. Although a FieldNotes would be pretty easy to disassemble, as it’s staplebound, so that would definitely be an option. The downside, of course, being that the first and last page would be on the same sheet. :slight_smile:

If I were doing this, I’d go use a book scanner at my local library. They are pretty great.

Tagging @ismh because obviously he would know how he does it. :smiley:

I just put them on my cheap flatbed scanner, opened up. I’ll keep my hand on the lid to keep them in place. Sometimes the edges don’t scan straight, but it’s good enough for me.