ScanSnap Home upgrade issues on iX500?

Can anyone confirm that they’ve “upgraded” to “ScanSnap Home” and (a) connect via wifi, and (b) can create searchable PDFs without having take another step with ABBY FineReader?

I was going to replace my 32-bit ScanSnap Manager software with the new 64-bit ScanSnap Home “upgrade,” but after reading several posts I am very concerned! (Note: this is not a post about Fujitsu’s unfortunate lack of support for the S1300 and other devices, or single-user licensing, which are well documented elsewhere.)

David Sparks says on MacSparky.com that he has “been using the 64-bit software for a while and had no issues.” However, two recent threads on this forum say that they have lost the ability to connect by wifi to their scanners. Additionally, there is a report that creating searchable PDFs “in-scan” via OCR is no longer possible. (https://mjtsai.com/blog/2018/12/10/scansnap-64-bit-software-update/).

Both reports have me very concerned. Can anyone confirm that they’ve “upgraded” to “ScanSnap Home” and (a) connect via wifi, and (b) can create searchable PDFs without having take another step with ABBY FineReader?

Thanks!

It sounds like some people are not having a problem, while other people are having a problem.

Which seems like a situation ripe for using a bootable clone, updated right before you install the new SnanSnap software.

1. Run CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone your drive
  2. Confirm you can boot from your backup
  3. Install the new software on your main hard drive
  4. Test it, and if it doesn’t work, revert back to your clone.

(Technically you could also do this with a Time Machine “snapshot” but I’d rather have a full, bootable clone than rely on that.)

1 Like

Not sure why there are some users not being able to create searchable PDFs. From my experience the new ScanSnap software has all of the previous versions features plus some additional ones such as automatic file naming (based on Content) - https://cl.ly/e5ccd1ff8a06

The new interface design is a bit more complicated and is not necessarily an improvement.

1 Like

First time here, posting rather than just browsing the forum.

Here is my rather huge frustration with the new ScanSnap Home:

1. No option to scan several documents into one PDF a big deal, at least I have not found one.
  2. If there is OCR performed, there is only a limited number of fields in the app that you can search. No global search is a major problem and scanned files opened in the Finder have no OCR
  3. I am connected via USB, and the continuous delay of the app to probe the scanner connection is annoying and time-consuming.
  4. When opening the scanner, it takes a very long time for the USB connection to become active, further delaying the scanning.

My previous workflow with the old software is no longer possible, I am really disappointed with the direction of the new app.