Science Fiction Entertainment

With the frequent mention of Stars Trek and Wars and recent mentions of Dune and Neal Stephenson, I was wondering what other sci-fi/fantasy properties MPU listeners enjoy.

My favorite book is Hyperion. It’s the one by which I judge all others. I had heard that there was a film or tv show in development, but I can only imagine it being a disappointment.

I encoutered Hyperion by accident. I bought the first book because it looked interesting and I had nothing to read :slight_smile: I bought all the other books in the serie within a week :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hyperion was excellent. I had a nightmare about cruciforms when I first brought my wife home to meet my parents.

1 Like

I’m not at home to look at my library but off the top of my head, I did enjoy

I’m partial to the 2004 version of Battlestar Galactica

I am thoroughly enjoying The Expanse and I think I’ll tackle the books eventually…

One of my favorite anime series is Cowboy Bebop

Netflix is working on a live action version of Cowboy Bebop so I’m looking forward to that!

…and a short-lived TV series that has a cult following:

This TV series is a confusing at times but I still enjoyed the post-apocalyptic scenario envisioned in:

Legion also caught my eye recently:

A friend suggested Daniel Suarez and the 5 books he’s written so far. I enjoyed the audiobooks I bought from his bibliography.

1 Like

The last novel I read that I got excited about is “Summerland,” by Hanno Rajamieni.

British and Soviet spies fight the Cold War in the afterlife in 1938 England, in an alternate history where scientists have discovered definitive proof of life after death, communication between the living and dead is routine, and for a spy, dying is just another career step. John Le Carre meets Philip K. Dick. A wonderful and weird novel.

I finished that in February or March. Tough year for fiction!

UPDATE: Rajaniemi. That is the closest I’ve come to spelling his name correctly.

1 Like

Cowboy Bebop is pure genius :nerd_face:

I found very interesting the Books set in the Revelation Space universe, by Alastair Reynolds.

2 Likes

Other than Star Wars and Star Trek and Tolkien (of course!):

• Harry Potter (books and movies), including Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • Firefly (TV)
  • Babylon 5 (TV)
  • Battlestar Galactica (TV — the more recent series, not the original)
  • Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonriders of Pern series (books)
  • Katherine Kurtz’s Deryni series (books)
  • Mercedes Lackey’s Heralds of Valdemar series (books)
  • Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series (books)
  • N.K. Jemisin’s The Broken Earth series (books)
  • Madeleine L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time series (books)
  • Ursula K. Le Guin’s Earthsea series (books)

And I’d classify Arthurian stuff as fantasy, I guess, so:

• T.H. White’s The Once and Future King
  • Mary Stewart’s Merlin series: The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, The Last Enchantment, The Wicked Day
  • Gillian Bradshaw’s trilogy: Hawk of May, Kingdom of Summer, In Winter’s Shadow
1 Like