Sending sms or message

How can I create a shortcut which will trigger on me arriving at my office. Once I reach office I want an sms/message or whatsapp send to my wife in the background without me manually intervening.

As far as I know, sending a message with Shortcuts will always require a manual confirmation that you want the Shortcut to run. You may want to look into IFTTT.

You may be able to send an email upon entering an specified area (that would be your office). This email could be sent to your wife’s phone.

This isn’t correct, at least as to why. The trigger is the key. Zero interaction automations (in shortcuts) do not exist by design. Whether a message is sent has no baring on this.

There always must be user interaction for an automation to execute, but user interaction means different things.

1. Using a geofence will require you to interact with a notification to execute the script.
  2. Using an NFC tag won’t require you to take any action beyond touching your phone to the tag.

I use an NFC sticker on my desk for this exact purpose. When I put my phone on my desk, I tap the tag first, and a message is sent to my husband.

There’s no fully automated execution. Explicit instruction to execute is currently always required. That can be a push notification, a button in the widget, or an NFC tag, etc.

Can we do this with an integration of shortcuts and zapier ?

Zapier has info on using Shortcuts to invoke Zapier webhook URLs.

2 Likes