September 7, 2022 Event thread

This, pretty much, exist only on the paper!
The customer has, after 6 Month, too proof, that the defect item was already with this defect at the time of the purchase! That is, in most cases, just not possible, and therefore the EU-Regulations are more or less worthless on that.

The “presumption period” was extended to 12 months.

I don’t think it’s a factor.

Manufacturer warranties are, in most cases, better than the “EU warranty”. Explaining the difference is something you will find in EVERY exam on consumer law.

The “EU warranty” applies to “the state of the good at purchase”. And for 6 months, now 12, it was assumed if a defect appeared, it was “state of the good as purchased”. After that, either you are friends with the seller, he is nice, a lot of goodwill or you need to prove the “state”.

“Manufacturer warranties” are, in most cases, way better (Apple being a notable exception). Some stuff I own:

• camera lens: one year international warranty. (“EU warranty” is only binding for the SELLER, not the MANUFACTURER). Manufacturer will repair anywhere in the world. So, “EU warranty” not an issue. Price differences.
  • my printer: manufacturer warranty: full 2 years including on-site pickup. Way better than EU. I can get the printer a lot cheaper in the US.
  • my company laptop: mine has 3 years manufacturer warranty.

The “EU warranty” only is an issue for those companies that have crappy or no manufacturer warranties. But nobody really goes to the shop after 8 months with a broken $2 screwdriver. Most companies selling “proper” stuff already had manufacturer warranties that exceeded the EU requirements. Just look at my printer. And still, there are significant price differences. And, getting back to the water bottle, how do you explain that? Just adding up costs won’t give us the answer. Strategic price-setting does.

Wait, there’s more than one 5:30 in a day? :astonished: :grin:

3 Likes

Uncertain. But I can assure you: that one is the worst.

2 Likes

24 or 48 depending if you use a am/pm or 24 hour time. And taking time zones into account. Although, I think there may be more than 24 time zones … So there could be even more!

1 Like

I found one the other way! I am eyeing towards a new monitor. And just checked some online stores:

EIZO ColorEdge CS2740.

USA: $1750-1799 (add tax, I have NO IDEA ON US state taxes)
Europe: €1449 (tax included) - at today’s exchange rate: $1445.

-20% in Europe.

Since the offset it nov always even numbers, but also half hours…there are more.

2 Likes

But only for products purchased after 01.01.2022.

Actually there are 24 5:30 AM, every day… :innocent:

EDIT: Acc. Wikipedia it seems there are even 33…

1 Like

On pricing worldwide.

Love the ultra watch but for me it would be overkill and a status thing so I’ll stick with my series 4 and probably upgrade next year.

My 13 Pro phone is still awesome for me so no reason to upgrade there either. The Pro 14 colors don’t really do anything for me which is the only reason I would swap at this point.

Chris,

I’m outdoors a lot also, but for me the Apple Apple Emergency SOS Via Satellite features are too limited to meet my needs. I find my 3.5 oz Garmin InReach Mini gives me many more capabilities.

I just posted an article on my blog you might find interesting, “Apple Emergency SOS Via Satellite; A Replacement for my Garmin InReach?

2 Likes

I’ve got an InReach Mini 2 as well. It definitely does some things that the new iPhone feature does not. For me, I think the Emergency SOS via Satellite makes a nice supplement to the InReach in a couple of situations:

• Trips where I wouldn’t have taken the InReach, like day hikes
  • Situations where I have the InReach on a trip, but it’s not on my person. For instance, when rafting my phone is usually lanyarded to my PFD, while the InReach is in a day bag clipped to the raft. If I got separated from the raft, having the SOS capability on the phone would be nice.

Chris,

I take my inReach on day hikes, and I always have my Garmin Inreach clipped onto my person. So the iPhone will always be a backup for me.

Everyone does things differently, so whatever works for you is great!

Jim