Set default Open With app for unspecified file types?

Is there a way to have TextMate (or some other app) always appear in the Open With menu?
TM is my goto for text, and I frequently use it to open an oddball file. (Noting that I know about Other… and finding the app, just looking for a quicker way.)
I did find RCDefaultApp, an oldie but still seems to be goodie, but it has no way of setting unspecified file types.

I’ve never found a way to force a 3rd-party app into the ‘Open with’ list if macOS didn’t think it should be a primary option. Apps like Textmate indicate via their metadata the specific filetypes they can handle, so if you want to try to use something unspecified I think you may need to do it manually.

What I’ve done in the past is simply put the app into the Dock (and/or put an alias for the app in the Finder) and drag-n-drop files onto it. If you use an app like Dropzone you could place Textmate etc into the apps folder and do the same thing, I think.

1 Like

Ah, thanks, Dropzone is a good idea! I’ll add that as an option for when I’m mousing.

I actually had a macro in Keyboard Maestro that would, upon my pressing ⌃⌥⌘ M, open TextMate, and paste the clipboard contents in so that I could use a familiar editor (and one with multiple cursors, etc.) when working with text in other applications. (I then copy and paste back in to the other application.)
I modified that macro so that if I trigger it in Finder, it will open the selected files in TextMate. Seems easier even that right-click, etc.

1 Like

LaunchBar has an amazing feature called Instant Send. The way it works is that you select something (e.g. some text or a file), press the Instant Send keyboard shortcut (Double Shift my case), then select the app, search, etc.

In your example, you would select the file, invoke Instant Send, and then type something like TM and press return to open it in TextMate (or just select it from the list if it’s already visible). With a bit of practice, this becomes very efficient.

2 Likes

Even better!
I’m sure Launchbar could make my coffee in the morning, if I could only remember the command…

1 Like

I found the Instant Send shortcut key/sequence (pressing Shift twice in my case) became muscle memory very quickly. I haven’t undercovered any coffee making functionality yet (though, I’m a tea drinker :wink: )

2 Likes