Setapp available on iOS… but requiring additional seats to use, which defeats the whole idea

Like many here, this is going to prompt me to reevaluate this subscription. I’ll certainly review it before it renews.

I get some value from CleanMyMac, but I sometimes think that I could happily use the free alternatives. I have been happy to install some other apps as needed, like when I wanted to query a SQL database for no particular reason last week. The solution on SetApp was powerful, easy to install and trustworthy. There is value, the question again is how much?

1 Like

For those of you who were already subscribed and had apps installed on iOS, are your iOS apps still working even If you don’t have a “seat” for iOS? Mine are.

I’m guessing that those of us who were already subscribed will continue to see things work.

That said, I fully agree that for new subscriptions, this move seriously reduces the value.

1 Like

All of my Setapp iOS apps I used previously are still working: Mindnode, Ulysses, Paste. Without another seat, as I am on the edu discount.

1 Like

They are working. For now. I would like to think the iOS/iPadOS apps that were installed before the subscription policy change are somehow grandfathered, but I haven’t seen anything from the company that says that. So I suspect they will stop working when, for example, Ulysses does a major upgrade on mobile platforms.

1 Like

I have had confirmation from support that they will keep working for now.
It was heavily implied that the new system will take over at some point, and that I was already grandfathered in with a two-plan device that’s not available anymore.
I can’t for the life of me figure how the company can remotely think this makes financial sense.

1 Like

I’ve done a little more checking this morning, and found two pages at the Setapp site that are relevant here.

At the bottom of Manage devices (seats): use Setapp on several Macs — buried at the bottom of the page — is this note: “If you’ve been using Setapp on several Macs before, you might find this article useful: The price or other terms of my subscription plan changed. Does that affect me too?

The important bits of information there:

• “If you’ve been an active Setapp member for any time, your subscription terms and conditions, including price, won’t change and will stay the same as they were in your first payment.”
  • “New terms and prices only apply to new Setapp members. However, if you decide to change or reactivate your subscription (after canceling it or missing some subscription payments), the conditions may change.”

So, as I read this, those of us who already subscribe should see things continue as they’ve always been — as long as we don’t let our subscriptions lapse. In my case, that means I have one seat for my Mac (I have the .edu subscription) and the ability to use apps on both my iPhone and iPad, since iOS devices weren’t “seats” when I subscribed.

That gives me good incentive to keep my subscription active, since my yearly fee is only slightly more than what I’d pay for Ulysses alone otherwise (and I use several apps in addition to Ulysses).

But I doubt I’d come aboard as a new subscriber under the current terms.

5 Likes

Assuming you had an “old” annual subscription with 2 seats: It looks that even if you change your plan for annual to monthly, the number of computers that you can install Setapp, goes from 2 to 1.

CleanShot 2020-08-07 at 10.43.02
CleanShot 2020-08-07 at 10.43.13

1 Like

That’s not ideal. But it does fit within the parameters of the quoted information: “…if you decide to change or reactivate your subscription…” (emphasis added).

1 Like

I see that now. :grinning:

I’m wondering if this (and the reduction from 2 to 1 seat) ties in with the comment about there not being enough revenue for some devs above.

At a certain point, the developers need to be paid enough to stay interested. I don’t know how SetApp’s revenue model works, but even if we assume something super-simple like “we split your monthly payment evenly among the SetApp apps you have installed”, more apps = less revenue for each dev - which could begin to cause issues for, let’s say, the Ulysses people who otherwise charge $60 a year.

Personally, I have the grandfathered license (2 seats), I only have 2 Macs, and I don’t use any of the iOS apps either way - so I’m good at this point. But if that ever changed, I’d be inclined to take a long, hard look at what apps I’m actually using and re-evaluate things.

2 Likes

It actually seems to be “we split your monthly payment evenly amont the Setapp apps you have used this month”.
Which is why I have gone out of my way to remove the licenses I had to put the Setapp versions instead – let the devs get additional money. But at this stage, I’ve started doing the revers in preparation for my cancellation…

Ugh! I made the calculation that subscribing to SetApp was worth ditching my special rate for Ulysses, plus getting some extra stuff.

While a few apps have proven useful in specific circumstances, there are very few I use often beyond Ulysses and some apps I already had licenses for. Definitely worth a good think on whether I keep it, but I guess I could always just not use Ulysses on my phone ever. I mean, I rarely do, but it is useful on the odd occasion.

Clearly this is an unpopular move. I hope they understand that, because their revenue may suffer a bit of a drop initially.

1 Like

Yeah, that sucks.

I wonder if it would function in a synced “read only” mode, or if the sync would stop working entirely?

This update is really helpful. I don’t mind if they change the business plan for new members, or even if they gradually transition the plans for existing members. I understand they have to make a living. I am glad they did not do what some others did, which is suddenly change their plan for their existing user base in a dramatic way. I’m also glad because I really like writing in Ulyssses and using a bunch of the other SetApp apps. :slight_smile:

Setapp replied to my question of

“do I have to pay $4.99 x 3 devices x 12 months” (or $180 / year) just to keep using Ulysses and MindNode on my two iPads + iPhone."

The answer is not encouraging. I think he’s saying “Yes. Not today. But yes.”

We understand that this new feature may seem to be a step back at first glance, but bear with us. This new iOS app activation method will allow us to expand the offer and provide access to paid iOS apps – something we’ve been unable to deliver before. MindNode for iOS, for example, was not previously available in Setapp. It is now.
The pre-launch set of iOS apps may seem a bit lacking – we’re working on this. More vendors are working to roll out their iOS apps after the official announcement of the feature.
The introduction of this new method does not immediately replace the older activation method and the apps should keep working while our iOS offer grows.

I don’t care how many iOS apps they add, it’s not going to be worth $180/year for the pleasure.

1 Like

It seems the cut off is end of the month. I just got this notification

I will be switching away from Ulysses by the end of the month. Since my initial reason for signing up for Setapp didn’t include iOS apps, I’ll go back to that position at least u til my subscription comes up for renewal. Even at that time I’m unlikely to want to add mobile device seats; with multiple phones and tablets in use, there would just be too many to be cost effective.

I’m still wondering how they are going to not violate some sort of iOS App Store rule. This seems to be a way for developers to offer an app for sale or selling a subscription that doesn’t go through the App Store.

Dam

I thought it was $4.99 for as many iOS devices.

For those who live a multi-iPad lifestyle, the costs can add up.

Most people will have at least 2 iOS devices (iPhone & iPad) so that will be USD20 a month plus taxes.

Somehow, this subscription thing isn’t adding up for me.

This may be the push I needed to move from Ulysses to iA Writer.

So it’s $5/month for your iPhone and it’s another $5/month for your iPad?

If that’s the case, it’s been under-reported, and also the complete death-knell of this idea. The whole App Store concept has always been “Buy it once, use it on all of your iOS devices.”

I’m going to find it very easy to drop Ulysses if this is the case.

Based on this support article,

When you sign up for Setapp, in any subscription plan, you get 1 device — that is, a Mac to install Setapp on. Later, you’re welcome to purchase extra device subscriptions: every additional device allows you to use apps from Setapp on one more Mac or a single iOS device.

I interpret that to mean each physical device requires 1 seat.

BTW, another article indicates that an individual subscription can have up to 5 devices maximum and all additional devices are billed monthly even if the base subscription is paid annually. Family plans are not yet supported for iOS devices.