Setapp available on iOS… but requiring additional seats to use, which defeats the whole idea

That’s not ideal. But it does fit within the parameters of the quoted information: “…if you decide to change or reactivate your subscription…” (emphasis added).

1 Like

I see that now. :grinning:

I’m wondering if this (and the reduction from 2 to 1 seat) ties in with the comment about there not being enough revenue for some devs above.

At a certain point, the developers need to be paid enough to stay interested. I don’t know how SetApp’s revenue model works, but even if we assume something super-simple like “we split your monthly payment evenly among the SetApp apps you have installed”, more apps = less revenue for each dev - which could begin to cause issues for, let’s say, the Ulysses people who otherwise charge $60 a year.

Personally, I have the grandfathered license (2 seats), I only have 2 Macs, and I don’t use any of the iOS apps either way - so I’m good at this point. But if that ever changed, I’d be inclined to take a long, hard look at what apps I’m actually using and re-evaluate things.

2 Likes

It actually seems to be “we split your monthly payment evenly amont the Setapp apps you have used this month”.
Which is why I have gone out of my way to remove the licenses I had to put the Setapp versions instead – let the devs get additional money. But at this stage, I’ve started doing the revers in preparation for my cancellation…

Ugh! I made the calculation that subscribing to SetApp was worth ditching my special rate for Ulysses, plus getting some extra stuff.

While a few apps have proven useful in specific circumstances, there are very few I use often beyond Ulysses and some apps I already had licenses for. Definitely worth a good think on whether I keep it, but I guess I could always just not use Ulysses on my phone ever. I mean, I rarely do, but it is useful on the odd occasion.

Clearly this is an unpopular move. I hope they understand that, because their revenue may suffer a bit of a drop initially.

1 Like

Yeah, that sucks.

I wonder if it would function in a synced “read only” mode, or if the sync would stop working entirely?

This update is really helpful. I don’t mind if they change the business plan for new members, or even if they gradually transition the plans for existing members. I understand they have to make a living. I am glad they did not do what some others did, which is suddenly change their plan for their existing user base in a dramatic way. I’m also glad because I really like writing in Ulyssses and using a bunch of the other SetApp apps. :slight_smile:

Setapp replied to my question of

“do I have to pay $4.99 x 3 devices x 12 months” (or $180 / year) just to keep using Ulysses and MindNode on my two iPads + iPhone."

The answer is not encouraging. I think he’s saying “Yes. Not today. But yes.”

We understand that this new feature may seem to be a step back at first glance, but bear with us. This new iOS app activation method will allow us to expand the offer and provide access to paid iOS apps – something we’ve been unable to deliver before. MindNode for iOS, for example, was not previously available in Setapp. It is now.
The pre-launch set of iOS apps may seem a bit lacking – we’re working on this. More vendors are working to roll out their iOS apps after the official announcement of the feature.
The introduction of this new method does not immediately replace the older activation method and the apps should keep working while our iOS offer grows.

I don’t care how many iOS apps they add, it’s not going to be worth $180/year for the pleasure.

1 Like

It seems the cut off is end of the month. I just got this notification

I will be switching away from Ulysses by the end of the month. Since my initial reason for signing up for Setapp didn’t include iOS apps, I’ll go back to that position at least u til my subscription comes up for renewal. Even at that time I’m unlikely to want to add mobile device seats; with multiple phones and tablets in use, there would just be too many to be cost effective.

I’m still wondering how they are going to not violate some sort of iOS App Store rule. This seems to be a way for developers to offer an app for sale or selling a subscription that doesn’t go through the App Store.

Dam

I thought it was $4.99 for as many iOS devices.

For those who live a multi-iPad lifestyle, the costs can add up.

Most people will have at least 2 iOS devices (iPhone & iPad) so that will be USD20 a month plus taxes.

Somehow, this subscription thing isn’t adding up for me.

This may be the push I needed to move from Ulysses to iA Writer.

So it’s $5/month for your iPhone and it’s another $5/month for your iPad?

If that’s the case, it’s been under-reported, and also the complete death-knell of this idea. The whole App Store concept has always been “Buy it once, use it on all of your iOS devices.”

I’m going to find it very easy to drop Ulysses if this is the case.

Based on this support article,

When you sign up for Setapp, in any subscription plan, you get 1 device — that is, a Mac to install Setapp on. Later, you’re welcome to purchase extra device subscriptions: every additional device allows you to use apps from Setapp on one more Mac or a single iOS device.

I interpret that to mean each physical device requires 1 seat.

BTW, another article indicates that an individual subscription can have up to 5 devices maximum and all additional devices are billed monthly even if the base subscription is paid annually. Family plans are not yet supported for iOS devices.

Yes, yes and yes.
Just got a lot of the Setapp apps I like on the current Bundlehunt. I will re-subscribe to Ulysses separately, take one to Dropzone (even though I grumble that this app uses a subscription model) and I’ll be set for a fraction of the fortune Setapp is now asking me.

2 Likes

Can I take back my earlier post saying the concept of iOS devices being a seat seemed reasonable (I already had the caveat that this would be true only when the range of apps improved massively)?

I was 100% assuming they meant one seat for all iOS devices.

Unless they come out with a big apologetic u-turn, that’s it for me with SetApp, I’ll go back to buying directly I think. Feels a bit like rage quitting, but my remaining license (I cancelled my extra seat) has a few months left, so I have plenty of time to u-turn myself!

When I signed up it felt like a nice indie club of sorts. Now it feels like something else altogether.
I’ll probably end up spending more overall, but I will appreciate the freedom of choice.

1 Like

Looks like Setapp will kill Ulysses. Many people do use Ulysses just because of this subscription. Now with 4 iOS devices I have it’s cheaper to do to the source itself.

1 Like

Hell. Got that message too. Meaning: I used to have access to an app, now I don’t. Basically Setapp takes you and your apps hostage in exchange for a ransom.

Just sent a message to support asking for a refund of the remaining time on my plan. These are not the terms of service I agreed to, and such a change is illegal as per many countries’ consumer laws.

If I get my refund, I’ll let it slide, but that move really is class-action worthy.

Attracting the attention of our beloved hosts @MacSparky and @ismh on that move.

2 Likes

I bet Setapp is scrambling right now to add iOS apps quickly to it bundle to make this a viable add-on that has more value ASAP. (I always thought it was interesting that it offered Cloud Outliner, not Cloud Outliner Pro, which links to the equivalent iOS app. I expect they’re in negotiations with the dev to upgrade that app experience.)

Even without Ulysses (which I live inside and have had a subscription with since the day they offered it) there are seven other cross-platform apps currently on Setapp, but I bet the vast majority of people using the service are there for the 200-ish Mac-only apps which still make Setapp a really good deal. The apps are mostly top-shelf, and I would be a subscriber if over the years I hadn’t already purchased most of the apps there I would want to use. I periodically-to-daily use many of the apps Setapp carries and if I were starting from scratch I’d happily have jumped on the service.

I just canceled my subscription and sent a similar email requesting a pro-rated refund, even though they don’t usually do that.

I pointed to their own support page mentioned in my earlier post in this thread as justification.

It’s fair, I think, for them to try this business model with new subscribers (though I think it’s not a great value proposition). But to push it onto current subscribers when their own support pages indicate they won’t is really problematic.

We’ll see if they do the right thing. If so, I’ll consider them again if the value proposition ever changes for me. If not, well…

1 Like

I bet the vast majority of people using the service are there for the 200-ish Mac-only apps which still make Setapp a really good deal.

That would be me. I use at least a dozen Setapp Mac apps regularly—some more than others, of course—but have only tinkered with a couple that are also on iOS. Since they haven’t scratched any particular itch, I won’t miss them, but I can understand why folks who use them a lot might be distressed. (Especially if every iOS device is considered a seat that must be paid for …) I like being able to try stuff out, too, and have discovered a couple of apps that I now can’t live without. (Hello, TextSoap and Downie!)

I was sorry to lose my two-seat license when I switched to the annual plan, though.

1 Like