Setting up child's internet access for the first time

The day I’ve been dreading has arrived - I need to figure out how to best secure my oldest daughter’s online access.

I had a trip to the Apple store this morning to try to trade in an old MacBook, only to be told that it had no value. So we’re going to keep it and let her use it for the increased levels of homework next year.

I guess my fear/hesitancy comes from the fact that she’s 7 and I didn’t think I’d have to think about this for at least a couple of years.

So what’s the best way of doing this? I was thinking of setting her up with an Apple ID and then adding her to our household, but is it even simpler than that? Is it just a case of setting myself up as Admin on the laptop and then adding her as a user?

Any other tips or advice?

You should be able to use screen time on the Mac. I created accounts for all three of my kids (8, 6, & 5) and have their iPads pretty locked down using it.

Also, if you have an Eero router you can lock down their internet access even more through the Eero app.

3 Likes

Set you up as Admin, and her as a User. Don’t have a bunch of apps on; just a few at first. Use Screen Time.

You might start by building her a simple HTML Home page in safari, With links to sites you are OK with.

Maybe get a keyboard skin.

You create an Admin account and then create a “Managed with Parental Controls” account.

This will allow you to decide how much she can do… or can’t do. It is fairly easy to set up.

1 Like

Didn’t that change after Screen Time was added?

+1 for eero. If I’m not mistaken there’s a bunch of new Parental Controls in iOS 16 as well.

Yes. The controls are under Screen Time in Systems Preferences, Focus might also be helpful.

Yes, that’s correct.

Thanks all - much appreciated!