Shifting gears, changing hats, OS shortcomings

The things that I work on usually fall into broad categories. For instance, I use MATLAB, R, Notebooks, etc. for data analyses in two of my studies. I also occasionally pay bills or read research articles. My studies are kept in their own folders with source code, data, notes, images, spreadsheets, etc. When I change from working on one to the other, I need to close source files, change directories, open new source files in several programs. I try to minimize these changes of context as much as I can, but my thinking processes are decidedly not linear.
I’m sure I could spend days working out something in Keyboard Maestro or Alfred, perhaps (probably not the closing and opening of files).

Does anyone have a clever strategy for dealing with this?

I’m tempted to create a new user for each context that I operate in. Not sure if they could share a home folder…

Brett Terpstra has a new thing called Bunches on his web site that I’ve been considering for just what you’re thinking about. Can’t beat the price.

2 Likes

Second the vote for Bunch… if you aren’t going to roll your own with Keyboard Maestro, that would be my first look.

1 Like

Intriguing!
Thanks @jec0047 and @tjluoma.

I just set everything up in different Spaces and switch between them when changing tasks.