Shortcut works via tap but not when activated by Siri

I set up a shortcut for quickly switching playback from device or AirPods to the HomePod. I know that with latest iOS 13 that can happen automatically when the phone is placed near HomePod but I find this to be unreliable. So, when I get in from a walk, usually listening to music or a podcast playing from iPhone to AirPods I can tap a widget or home screen icon and playback switches nearly instantly from AirPods to HomePod. It occurred to me though that I could just use Siri and say the name of the shortcut. Would be nice to just walk in the door and say ā€œHomePodā€. However when I do I get an error that the device could not be found. Iā€™ve tried from iPhone and iPad, both give me the same error.

Any reason for this not to work?

Iā€™m guessing that the 1 second delay isnā€™t long enough for the network connections to be made.

Try setting it to 5 and see if that works more reliably.

If so, see if you can reduce it to 3ā€¦ etc.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. After I posted my question I tried this very thing and it didnā€™t work. I even removed those steps which I originally had included for the occasion that I might have WiFi turned off. I tried it with just the two steps of setting the playback destination and the volume set and made sure I was on my network. Still wonā€™t work via Siri. Seems very odd to me. Tested on both iPhone and iPad.

You may be able to accomplish this without a shortcut. I was watching this video by iJustine (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUUFMCkelmk) where sheā€™s getting Siri to play a song in one or more different rooms. I wondered if I could get the same thing to work with my iPhone & our appleTV.

Iā€™d previously been trying to use a voice command to get Siri to airplay music / podcasts from my phone to the appleTV by saying ā€˜play this on the appleTvā€™ and variations of this; but nothing was working. Seeing the above video I tried a different approach. The appleTV is configured in the Home app as being in the living room, saying ā€œhey Siri, play this in the living roomā€ then sent what ever was playing on the phone to the appleTV.

To be fair, the shortcut approach may be more resilient, the Apple TV seems to take a while to spring to life and the tv takes even longer to wake up. There are occasions where, by the time the tvā€™s woken up, Siriā€™s wandered off and got confused. :wink: