Should I leave the MBA plugged in when it’s at my desk, regardless of battery level?

No mention of the (new?) optimized battery charging feature in MacOS?

Edit: I’ve not been able to tweak it but after a while I find that the battery stays charged to 80% constantly. For a full charge I disconnect it then reconnect and it understands I want a full charge. (At least I think that’s what happens)

My three year old 2018 15-inch MBP i7 went back to Apple for a battery beginning to bulge after being attached in clamshell mode to an LG UltraFine 4K monitor. I’m still not sure what to believe about Li-ion batteries.

2 Likes

See, that’s the weird thing. Every time I go to my computer, the battery is at 100%. It doesn’t look like Apple is ever letting off. The battery hasn’t been used since Wednesday, but it’s been at 100% that whole time.

2 Likes

At some point it decided charging to 100% was best given your usage patterns. Now that it’s at 100%, it isn’t going to discharge the battery. The wear and tear that Apple seeks to minimize occurs when charging above 80%. So it made the call, then charged to give you the best experience.

But…but…

I’ve owned it for a week. And the first two days are the only battery usage I’ve ever had. Five full days of that time it’s been on the charger, because it’s been on my desk.

Can that possibly be “optimal”?

Edit: I think a balloon is a better analogy - most of the stretching happens when it’s almost full. But once “stretched”, there’s no need to deflate, as you’d just need to inflate/stretch again. Or you’d set off on a journey with a partially deflated balloon.

It’s like a water bottle connected to the tap. Once it’s full, it’s just hanging out waiting to be used. All the water is coming from the tap, the bottle is just sitting there with no wear and tear. When you disconnect, the water comes from the bottle.

1 Like

Hi guys,

Take a look at AllDente it’s awesome and solves all of your concerns.

Li-ion and polymer batteries (like the one in your MacBook) last the longest when operated between 20% and 60%. Keeping your battery at 100% most of the time will significantly shorten the lifespan of your MacBooks battery and Replacing an old battery is not only harmful to the environment but also costs up to $ 199. With AlDente installed, you can set a charging limit in a more healthy charging range, and with more features like Sailing Mode or Heat Protection you can keep your battery healthy even longer.

1 Like

I think the optimized/smart/whatever-Apple-branded-it charging was introduced in Catalina.

1 Like

TBH, I’m not sure why I should trust an independent developer (however talented and well-intentioned) over Apple when it comes to the best way of maintaining their batteries. It seems an unnecessary risk to take.

3 Likes

I can do a Option-Apple menu-System Information and then click Power to see more details about the battery condition, charge cycle.

I just changed the battery for my old 2013 MBA running on Mojave. The MagSafe is showing green i.e. it is fully charged. Going to the System Info, it shows that it is “Not charging”. I am betting that Mojave is also smart enough not to charge the battery once it is full.

It has to stop when it’s full, or you’ll end up with a fire :wink:

The optimized charging feature tries to understand your use patterns and will stop charging at around 80% until it anticipates that you’ll need more or you tell it to fully charge. Keeping a lithium battery fully charged for long periods is more chemically stressful than keeping it at around 50% to 80%

1 Like

Has anyone found a way to manually activate optimised charging? It only seems to kick in after a few days of me having it permanently on the charger (with the pref setting active).

I haven’t. It tries to learn your usage patterns so maybe that’s why it takes a few days?

I Don’t have a new MBP (yet) but I will add this to the discussion. My wife’s 2015 MBA is running (just recently), Catalina mostly Mojave. She has no concerns about optimizing battery life - she uses it when she needs it, plugs it in when she is lower on power. If I had to guess, I would say it has been mostly used 35% on battery, the rest of the time plugged in at her desk over the last 6 going on 7 years. It’s had 337 load cycles over 2450 days.

I just ran a Coconut Battery test and her battery is still at 83.2% capacity. So without giving it a second of thought, she has lost 2.8% of her battery life per year. To my way of thinking, that is more than acceptable and leads me to conclude I won’t worry about plugging in, leaving it plugged in or not. Just use it.

I had a G4 PowerBook (loved that laptop) and was very careful with battery maintenance. Had 2 battery bulges - both covered by Apple.

4 Likes

Exactly. The prospect that these two guys, or any app developers, know more than the fleet of engineers at Apple and their vendors would be a difficult case to argue.

3 Likes

Al Dente piggybacks off all that work. It just sets charge target key in the SMC instead of letting the system’s machine learning battery health management pick the number. The rest of the app is just UI for the user to pick the number. The system continues to handle the voltage management. Pretty clever, and probably not much smaller of a team than the people who own that SMC key and battery health checkbox at Apple.

On the product design side, this is just meeting the needs of people for whom one-size-fits-all machine learning isn’t working. Both approaches are based on the same li-ion science.

1 Like

By definition machine learning is not one-size-fits-all.

How do this developer or its customers know more than Apple does about setting the charge target?

2 Likes

I have to say, I generally agree with this sentiment.

That said, Apple neglected this area for such a long time that it became something third-party devs at least initially did do much better than Apple.

And it wouldn’t be the first time that Apple’s default implementation of something…erm…was less-than-optimal for some use cases. :slight_smile:

So for me it’s not a matter of knowledge, but a matter of whether or not they’ve made a good implementation of the knowledge they have.

You can see in this thread that it can’t figure out everyone’s usage patterns. Just as it doesn’t understand how to smartly charge my phone when my sleep schedule becomes inconsistent. Since macOS doesn’t give the user configuration options, the ML model has to solve every usage pattern without input and it isn’t capable of that. Apple, probably correctly, chose to ship one method that worked best for the large majority of its users, and this niche product fills in the gaps.

No one has said this. The developers are providing an alternate method to achieve what Apple’s method is trying to do. It’s better or worse depending on how well the system method understands the user. And yes, it does give users power to make worse decisions than the system would.

Generally, may I say that hating on a responsive indie developer for giving users options they want is out of character for this forum.

3 Likes

I think “hating on” is a bit of hyperbole.

But I do think there is a notable difference between software hacking with no risk of harm to the machine, vs hardware hacking where you truly can damage the machine.

1 Like