Shout out to how relaxing the MPU podcast is

I listen on 1.5x so I miss out on the mellowness!

2 Likes

LOL!!. I find them to be fascinating. A lot of it may be over my head but an amazing amount isn’t. I like the way they explain things. Excellent teachers.

1 Like

Gotta pick out the episodes on a topic you aren’t TOO interested in, lol. I’m the same. Generally, I love to listen to lots of similar podcasts - tech, productivity, GTD, etc. If it’s a sleep one I’ll pick a topic I’m not super into like automation or something. Or one I’ve listened to before!

2 Likes

LOL! I have to pick something I am at least somewhat interested in so it holds my attention and I quit worrying. But I find out it is too interesting in which case I lose sleep (no big deal).

Often I’ll replay an episode.

1 Like

I similarly have to avoid reading cool self-help books like GTD or Power of Habit kind of stuff at night too. I get too excited, LOL.

1 Like

I was an audible subscriber for many years. When I really have problems sleeping I pull up one of my “Why did I buy THIS?” books that I couldn’t finish. :sleeping:

Which podcasts can you recommend? I like anything Mac.

So glad I’m not the only one who sometimes falls asleep to MPU! I also feel the same way about Focused. Just chill and I also always notice different things upon a re-listen.

I use to listen to “Russia House” by John Le Carre every night. I originally bought it to drive cross country and just couldn’t concentrate on it.

Then I taped a lecture about Ancient Egypt. That one conked me out but good! It was an interesting lecture in person though.

1 Like

Only other Mac podcast I listen to is Accidental Tech Podcast. Sadly, it’s not as chilled out as MPU. The Focused Podcast is always great, though I’m sure everyone here is familiar or listens to it.

MacSparky has a webcast on November 10th on Focus. Not sure where though… or the time.

As I recall the movie, with Michelle Pfeiffer & Sean Connery, was pretty good.

1 Like

The movie was very good, Wayne. For some reason, I have a hard time concentrating with books on tape.

I don’t retain facts from audio books as well as those I read. About five years ago I listened to The Ascent of Money by Niall Ferguson. Last year I bought the kindle version to refresh my memory. Amazon scored 2 sales on that title.

1 Like

LOL! I think I am visual learner. The schools seem to be set up that way although I substituted in a deaf ed class for a few days. I was amazed just how much I used audio. I use to carry around a record player. (Yeah, I’m dating myself). I had story books with records.

Take Spanish eg. It is hard for me to recall a word unless I see it.

When I am reading, I usually do not try to remember anything. I (finally) started to take some notes. I’ll see how that goes.

But on audio, if I start daydreaming, then I’m lost.

I had the first twenty minutes of Russia House memorized!

1 Like

See here: Focused - Relay FM

1 Like

Right. I think I signed up for something on the 10th, a webcast about the new Apple :green_apple: feature Focus.

I often fall asleep to the sweet soothing sounds of David and Stephen’s voices on the MPU podcast.

1 Like

There’s actually a podcast called “Boring Books For Bedtime”. They read old, presumably public-domain books in a slow, monotonous voice. About an hour at a stretch. If you ever run out of your Audible stuff, check that out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Even the title can make you sleepy!

Btw, thanks, Web! I couldn’t sleep last night. It was pretty awful. I put on The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and pum! I was out like a light (twice).

1 Like