It’s neither the prettiest nor the most exciting set up but I thought I would share on the off chance that it gives someone some ideas!
Yes, that is Tangela sitting off to the side.
Edit: excuse the weird perspective—thought I’d give my ultrawide lens a try!
Left to right
- Philips Hue Go
- Dim, warm lighting after the sun goes down
- Seagate 2TB external HDD
- Time Machine backup
- The only thing in the set up that makes noise
- I dream of replacing it with an external SSD
- Anker USB 3.0 hub (7 data + 3 charging only ports)
Cable Matters USB-C Multiport Adapter with 8K DisplayPort, 2x USB 2.0, Fast Ethernet, and Power Delivery
- Display out, power in
- I had to buy this because of the issue I was having with USB-C dongles with HDMI ports (even when the HDMI port was not in use)
- Dell P2415Q 4K monitor
- High DPI goodness
- For me and my desk, the sweet spot for size
- At the correct viewing height, there is enough space for my laptop to sit in front of it with the screen tilted all the way back, acting as a secondary display, as well as allowing me to use the laptop’s keyboard and, more importantly, the trackpad
- I wish all displays had adaptive brightness
Lunar served me well for a time in this regard
- Don’t think it works on Big Sur / M1 Macs?
- Lunar served me well for a time in this regard
- MacBook Air (M1, 2020)
- Great machine
- Positioned where it is so I can use the trackpad when I want to
- Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
- Additional mouse buttons bound to actions (Mission Control, Desktop, etc.) were very flaky when the mouse was connected by Bluetooth. Haven’t had any problems when using the USB receiver. Though you will have to install Logi Options
- Mophie wireless charging pad.
- There are much better and cheaper wireless charging pads out there.
- Libratone ZIPP 2
- Went for this rather than a HomePod because it supports AirPlay 2, Bluetooth, 3.5mm, and USB audio in. No Siri, but I’ll survive. The computer outputs to it over 3.5mm for minimal latency (I find there is too much latency over AirPlay and even Bluetooth).