Significant changes to apps and final 2021 workflow

Thank you for posting your workflow graphic. Been lurking on this thread so this is :bulb: <— one of these moments!

The nut I’ve been trying to crack has been around splitting “project mgmt” and “doc mgmt” and “doc creation” I had been unable to visualise this and, in turn, give a name to these forks. Seems so obvious now, ha!

I rely on Google Suite for work and I think this was throwing me. Had more or less resigned myself to no central DT hub. Not since 1997 has the name insync brought me such joy.

2 Likes

I’m glad it was helpful. :+1:

Glad you like inSync! Keep me posted as you go forward - I am using it in a similar way

1 Like

I owe you one! :+1:

20 …

You stayed with Carrot? :open_mouth:

I did. V5 made all the difference. AccuWeather is accurate enough and I love the customization that is possible. I’m not too proud to admit that I was wrong about Carrot weather, though, I probably would not have switched had version 5 not been released.

:+1:…Good deal

1 Like

How is Scrivener working for you and are you using it between your Mac and iPad? I switched to Ulysses after losing a few hours of work and some deathless prose that will never be recovered. :frowning_face:

But I think I liked working in Scrivener better.

(That is a great mind map. Still building mine and you’ve given ideas.)

I much prefer Scrivener. I used it for several years and then, based on all of the good things being said about Ulysses, I switched for a while. But there is no comparison. Scrivener is a much more flexible and powerful app. I can use it to write everything from a blog post to writing a book. I’ve never had anything lost. Although I’ve never needed it, I can always get a copy of my Scrivener backups off of Dropbox and/or Backblaze. After once again using Scrivener, I can’t believe I ever left it. :slight_smile:

I’m glad the mind map was helpful! I’ve spent more time than I’d like to admit tweaking my workflow but i think I really have something that will serve me well for a long time, at least that is my hope! The other thing I like about my workflow is that I’m using fewer apps in a more focused and integrated fashion with DT being the hub with spokes out to my personal and professional material and apps.

Just wondering … have you become more tentative with Craft? When you don’t include it in Document Creation an put it as “TBD” in Tried &/or Considering, I get the impression that you’re not using it as much as you were, or that you’ve cooled on it. So, please clarify, how much are you liking and using Craft these days?

I like Craft; it is an excellent note taking application, in fact, one of the best I’ve used. That is why it is on the TBD list.

But, though it is not nearly as elegant as Craft, DT has many more features. I believe it makes sense, as much as possible, to have everything in one place. DT has sophisticated linking features in addition to its power features such as templates, scripts, smart rules, smart groups, OCR, file conversion, tables, and much more. Speaking of tables, Craft can’t create them but DT can as shown in the screen shot below. While I lose a few features of Craft (for example Cards and Pages), I believe I gain more than I lose.

In addition to the power features of DT, there are two recent developments that have moved me in the direction of DT for note taking. 1) Discovering insync through @Robejazz and 2) DT’s recent upgrade to the iOS app.

As was noted in a recent MPU’s podcast, systems produce results beyond what discreet components can produce. When I combine DT with my other workflows I have created an effective and efficient system that is superior to a fragmented process composed of better apps when considered on an individual app basis. By definition a workflow is a system. For my needs, I believe DT is a hub that produces an excellent system for creating and managing documents and projects.

@bpsooner I have an update. :slight_smile: I’ve experimented with using Drafts and Craft as my first entry point into DEVONThink when I’m not using DT’s editor. After some experimentation, I discovered that, for my purposes, Craft is the better external editor. Here’s why:

• Craft provides all of the great writing experience and options that Drafts lacks
  • Though I don’t necessary need it, I have another copy of the notes in Craft
  • Sharing to DEVONThink from Craft creates an automatic backlink to Craft in DT should I need/want to make edits in Craft

The workflow is simple.

• I create a TextExpander snippet for my notes
  • I expand the snippet in Craft and start typing
  • I share from Craft to DT

The result is I have all of the power of both Craft and DT deeply integrated is a fast, smooth workflow.

Here is an example from a test I ran.

TE Snippet

Craft Note

DEVONThink Result

Also, the note from Craft to DT is a markdown file in DT.

The only thing I cannot figure out is why either TE or Craft is adding the heading hashtag to “Notes”

I updated my workflow mind map by moving Craft from TBD to document creation.

2 Likes

It’s probably Craft that’s turning “Notes” into a header because there isn’t a blank line between “Notes” and the hyphen below it.

@ebarstad Thanks. That wasn’t the problem but your suggestion gave me another idea. I had to remove the - in TE to avoid the problem. :slight_smile:

@Bmosbacker Thank you so much for your explaination of the value of DevonThink as your first and foremost respository AND then your update, which is very, very helpful. Thank you for both of your detail responses … I will clip them over to DT and Craft! :sunglasses:

Your workflow mind map is excellent, most helpful, and is even better now! Thanks!

Also, @Bmosbacker , would you post your updated workflow mindmap, showing how you’ve repositioned Craft? Thanks!

@bpsooner Thanks for the kind comments. I’m always honored if anything I share on this forum is of value to anyone particularly since so many here are far more expert on tech matters than I.

There is not much to show but I have added Craft to the map for note creation. Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional information.

3 Likes

Excellent! Thanks showing us the new flow!

I just pasted it into my Craft note on your Workflow!

Grace & Peace …
Dorsey

Craft’s feature allowing you to put together an attractive web page in five minutes is a killer feature. Here’s one I did for a abnormal psychology case study in a class I teach. 50 Year Old Teacher Kidnaps and Sexually Abuses his 15 year old student