Siri creator says it’s about to become a ‘real force’ in the AI race against ChatGPT, Copilot and Gemini

Like many people, I have been experimenting with various AI platforms. With increased experience and carefulness, I am finding that AI can significantly boost one’s productivity. I look forward to seeing what Apple does with AI over the next year.

While Siri is an excellent place to start, I hope it’s not where it ends. Based on what I have read, I expect Siri to be integrated across most of Apple’s products.

I’ve just thought of a ‘killer app’ for AI in Apple’s ecosystem — AI in Xcode, trained on Apple’s codebase, or at least stuff they have vetted (not random code from the internet which uses deprecated APIs).

6 Likes

I can see where that would be big for developers, and I’ve been waiting years for a reliable Siri. But what can Apple offer to businesses?

I really can’t wait for this! I’m getting more into AI tools like @Bmosbacker…helping me distill a lot of documents down to information I can work with, helping me brainstorm, etc. I really think Siri could bridge the gap into my daily life as a personal assistance.

Some things off the top of my head, some of which I’ve mentioned in another post:

• Automatically remind me to do things based on my iMessage history (e.g., I told someone I would get back to them or send them a link…if I don’t, Siri can remind me)
  • Summarize my emails for me that I got over the day, then help me triage them/delete/action them
  • Improvements in suggestions for apps/things I usually do at a certain time, etc.

I think this is only the beginning. If Apple can do a lot of the text analysis things I mentioned earlier on device, that could be a true game changer from a privacy perspective.

2 Likes

I will happily drop Copilot if Siri can come close to matching it. Copilot has been indispensable for helping me start documents and word training protocols better than I could but I hate using Microsoft and would prefer to stick to Apple if I could.

1 Like

Having waited this long for useful Siri capabilities, I’m squarely on team “put up or shut up”.

Of course, the definition of “Siri” is as clear as the definition of “AI” so let’s hope they are working on practical solutions to real world problems. I am mainly critical of the voice control aspects of Siri, and the frequent “Sorry, I couldn’t find anything…” replies I’ve been receiving.

If we extend the “AI” definition to include machine learning, like the impressive “Photonic Engine” for capturing photos, the on-device content analysis of the photo library etc, then yes, these are awesome, but not anything I asscoiate with the “Siri” brand as a digital assistant.

4 Likes

I feel the same. So apparently does most people because Siri recently appeared on a recent episode of “The Rookie”. In the final scene a husband and wife are exhausted but only have time for a nap. As they are falling to sleep the husband says “Siri, wake me in an hour” and closes his eyes. Siri responds “I didn’t get that . . . “.

Fade to black.

2 Likes

Add me to the chorus. Siri’s incomprehensible, inconsistent, implementation is irritating. I can give exactly the same command three times with identical phrasing and get three wholly different responses.

3 Likes

The funny part is I don’t even use Siri anymore except for setting timers and alarms. The occasional reminder. Basic task-type functions because I just got so tired of it not working.

1 Like

I’m a sucker for punishment, I keep trying! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like