Site specific browser app?

What’s the current state of site-specific browser apps? I’m setting up a new MacBook Pro and I need one. I’ve used Fluid in the past, but my impression of it at the time was that it’s getting a bit old and creaky. Anyone have any recommendations?

There is Coherence X part of Setapp subscription if you already have it. I don’t personally use it, but thought of mentioning it, in case you have subscription.

1 Like

I’ve used Coherence X to make a few site specific apps. It is still working well for me, even on a machine I have updated to Monterey. If you have a SetApp subscription I think it is still available through their app. It can also be purchased direct from the developer.

1 Like

the team that makes Coherence also makes Unite. Coherence is Chrome based, Unite is Webkit based. Here’s their comparison page to help make the best choice and both are on setapp.

2 Likes

I used Coherence X before M1. My favorite of all, but last I checked it didn’t work on the M1. Not a fan of Unite.

I’m curious why the difference of opinion between the two apps?

Coherence X was snappy and light, and I never had problems with preferences. I used Google services in Coherence and having that separate from my day-to-day browsing made me feel a little less anxiety about big brother watching me (paranoia is my friend).

In all seriousness, United just didn’t stick for me and I realize this could be personal preference. But, Coherence was definitely faster and worked more reliably.

1 Like

The other day on Twitter, I was talking to the developer of Fluid who responded with this:

https://twitter.com/iTod/status/1449864427038285826?s=20

So… I am hopeful something is coming, well, soon.

1 Like

FWIW, I have tried Unite and Coherence, and have problems with both, and if you have multiple Macs, that can be an issue too.

I’m holding out hope for a Fluid 3 that is strong and well-supported. I don’t think the other two apps are as good, but they are better supported right now than Fluid.

2 Likes