Skype for Business memory leak hosing my system

Hi all,

For “reasons”, have to use Skype for Business as a replacement for my office line.

Been working ok-ish since the first lockdowns - until yesterday. Recently added my MBP to Backblaze. Assumed it was sluggish from first backup attempt. Turns out, it was Skype. Averaging about 7-8GB’s in activity monitor - and is mostly stuck on “application not responding”, requiring a force-quit.

Checked, and no updates due. MS forums have similar issues reported, but back in 2019/2020.

Anyone else using S4B that has been seeing issues? Could this be the thing that sees my having to update to Big Sur?

It’s a miserable app. I had issues like that before with it. I could be wrong but I don’t think Big Sur will fix it. Hopefully it’s not happening every time you run it.

1 Like

Skype for Business is more or less in a deprecated state and is being replaced by Microsoft Teams.

1 Like

I hear you. But it is what it is.

Teams requires a Office compliant username - semantics - but you know what I mean.

Skype allows me to call any number as if I was dialling from my ordinary landline. I acknowledge it sucks currently, but it’s what I have available to me, according to our IT department.

It is. Cannot get it running long enough to test. Deprecated by Microsoft, but our IT hasn’t received the memo yet.

1 Like

Your IT is subpar then. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Have you tried using Skype from office.com – i.e, the web version? It requires Edge, but might be less of a memory hog. I don’t know.

Or perhaps the Windows version running in VirtualBox might be less of a hog?

Didn’t realise this was even a thing. Thanks - will have a look.

It supports browsers other than Microsoft Edge.

This up-to-date article contradicts what you’ve said.

I’m extremely confused as to who is actually right. I’m just going off of what the article said.