Sleep mode om MacBook Pro M1 Max

Hi, everyone.

I’m having an issue that is driving me crazy! My MacBook Pro simply doesn’t enter sleep and I can’t figure out why.

Here’s my setup:

1. I usually have my laptop in clamshell mode during the day, connected to a Studio Display and I use a Magic Keyboard and Trackpad (both connected via Bluetooth, and sometimes via Lightning Cable to the Studio Display)
  2. I often bring my Laptop with me for work at some other part of my home during the evening

The thing simply won’t enter sleep mode, resulting in the machine running over night, either draining out the battery or heating up if I happen to put it in my bag.

Why is this a thing? What am I doing wrong? Is there some smart way to see why the thing didn’t enter slepp mode? What can I do to get to the bottom of this?

Do you have anything running in the background (and that stops the machine from sleeping — like backup?). Do you have display always on?

Not as far as I know, and the backup shouldn’t be always running. So I’m trying to figure out if there is some way to get some sort of log or overview over whether there is something running that stops the sleep from happening?

It seems that from a battery perspective at least this has been resolved when moving to Sonoma. Still haven’t figured out why it gets woken up by WiFi/Bluetooth when I’ve set it to not wake for this, but it sort of does. And the intervals vary a bit.

I just thought I would add some lines here about some commands I ended up using to try debugging in the Terminal in case they might be helpful:

This will list out the times it goes back to sleep within the specified time period, which gives an output that is neat and tidy (compared to the second one below outlining when it wakes and the reason for it), so this is a good verification:

log show --predicate '(eventMessage CONTAINS[c] "Entering Sleep state")' --last 600m

I got some friends to execute it and it seems their MacBooks also wake up a lot… not sure I understand why.

This will list out some indications on why, although often it seems it won’t be very useful:

log show --predicate '(eventMessage CONTAINS[c] "Wake reason")' --last 600m

Hope this can be helpful for someone if they come across the thread. Also, if someone feels like confirming how it is on their MacBooks to establish if the common pattern is the they wake up frequently that’s cool. :slight_smile:

Take a look at Sleep Aid, that can help diagnose and offer some with sleep issues.

2 Likes