Small charity - management of 3 x MBP's

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. My small charity has secured some funds to purchase three new macbook pros. The machines would be shared by around ten staff, who will use them in our workshops with disadvantaged young people. We’re keen to purchase wisely as it may be a long time before we get to replace them.

My question is: does anyone have any tips on how best to setup the user accounts on each mac, given that they will be shared machines?

Is it easy enough to create accounts called mbp1@icloud.com, mpb2@icloud.com etc? (Rather than actual names). I take it TouchID would be best avoided? Any tips on how to have some control over what gets installed etc.

p.s any tips on whether to go for 16" MBP or 15" Air? Screen size is important as groups of young people are often sitting around the machine, working on music production and video production projects. Is the Air powerful enough for pro audio/video? (nothing fancy - no heavy SFX or anything)

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Why are you not using actual names? If generic names, passwords get shared and you lose security. Even with actual names, must make a “rule” that passwords are secret.

Do you have a server? Where are any shared files being stored?

1 Like

I’d look into a device management solution. Even with only three of these Macs, you want one spot to make sure they’re in good condition and to manage their local accounts. You’ll be in a good position to add more in the future, too.

This is one that often gets recommended. Kolide is another to look at.

I think the Air would be fine for students, but maybe one of the machines could be more powerful than the others in case you end up needing that (or needing multiple monitors.)

Also look at JAMF – for only 3 devices, I think it would be free for you to use.
If you have to pay, ask the for the EDU rate of $9/year. That should be affordable.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your help with this. Really appreciate it. Will definitely look into those.

Does anyone know how the user licenses work for Final Cut Pro? Could I buy one copy and install on the three laptops? And would something like JamfNow etc allow me to do that?

You’ll need a license for each of these computers, unfortunately, because you’ve got students taking turns on them.

I don’t know your goals but maybe also take a look at DaVinci Resolve. It’s free, one of the industry standard editors like FCP, and students can grok it. (I have students learning it.)

How many computers can I install Final Cut Pro on?
The Final Cut Pro license agreement states:

“…you have the right to use the Apple Software as permitted by the Mac App Store Product Usage Rules set forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions (http://www.apple.com/ legal/itunes/ww/) (“Usage Rules”), and are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license:

(i) to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running OS X (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control; and

(ii) if you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, to download, install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software for use either: (a) by a single individual on each of the Mac Computer(s) that you own or control, or (b) by multiple individuals on a single shared Mac Computer that you own or control. For example, a single employee may use the Apple Software on both the employee’s desktop Mac Computer and laptop Mac Computer, or multiple students may serially use the Apple Software on a single Mac Computer located at a resource center or library.”