Small portable keyboard for flying

In preparation for a recent flight I bought a portable foldable Bluetooth keyboard to use with my iPhone. It worked great, and fits much better on an airplane keyboard than my normal airplane computing setup (12.9 iPad Pro). Just figured I would share my thoughts.

I’ve got a pop socket on the back of my case which works well as a stand on the tray table. Not sure how well this would work without that. Best application for me using it was Drafts - just a big screen to type on. Also helped that it is the XS Max - so lots of screen real estate to replace other devices and you can fit a good amount of text on it. That said, other apps are clearly better on the iPad (for me Omnifocus on the iPad is a much better experience for doing something like a review or major work). Hitting space to wake up works, and if you hit it twice you can type in password (rather than rotating the phone or my head to get Face ID to work). The keyboard is big enough that it was quick to get used to typing on it, although unsurprisingly not much travel on the keys (compared with my vintage MacBook Air). The fold in the middle isn’t a problem for typing, a few keys are just oddly wide to make them all line up. Downsides: not great for typing compared with a real keyboard, but not a huge surprise and better than I would have guessed. Some features I’m used to with ipad (command-tab, and slide over) don’t work and muscle memory refuses to acknowledge that.

Bonus: it is easy to fit a drink on the tray table with this setup, impossible with the iPad + keyboard.

Overall, for $25 or so, I’m pretty happy with the investment.

I’ll post a link to the one I bought as a comment so if it is against the rules the bot can just take it down and leave the post up.

2 Likes

Keyboard I bought

1 Like

My recommendation:

2 Likes

Forgot to include the picture.

4 Likes

Very nice! Apple juice, or scotch? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Scotch - southwest free drink coupons are amazing.

3 Likes

Even on the tiny tables I’ve not had a problem with my 11" iPad Pro! Now, the (old) 12.9" is actually the same size or larger than some of them, but that’s not a surprise :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, for me it was easier with my 11” MacBook Air than with my 12.9 iPad!

1 Like

I am extremely happy with this keyboard, by the way. Been using it more than two years. Extremely easy to use the iPad normally, then just prop it up in the keyboard’s slot for a bit of typing.

Microsoft Universal Mobile Keyboard for iPad, iPhone, Android devices, and Windows tablets (P2Z-00001) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GWGLUZ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_h8D8Bb60H9SZW

1 Like

Somethings wrong with that drink icon.
I keep tapping it, but it won’t download :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When it comes to portability plus a decent key size I can really recommend the Logitech Keys To Go:
https://www.logitech.com/de-de/product/keys-to-go

1 Like

I am still a fan of my apple magic keyboard even though my version requires two AA batteries instead of a rechargeable lithium ion battery. It is not foldable but I have a nice case and the action is great.

I get the joke now! It took me long enough. I’m

1 Like