Small scanner recommendation

My (relatively) beloved Epson scanner is dying and I’m looking for a compact one (feeder, 2 sides, OCR, decent software). Any recommendation? (I see the last posts on the topic are 3 year old)

I have a scansnap ix500 and I love it. Its fast, easy to use and reliable.

1 Like

I agree about ScanSnap. Initially people think it is expensive but there is no better alternative for what it does.
Quick, excellent scans, and accurate.
Software is good enough to automate to your liking.
I bought 4 units over the years for my business and personal and they all continue to work like new.
For individuals with real scanning needs it is the one to get. IMHO.

1 Like

I have been very pleased with the Brother ADS-1250W (Amazon link below). It’s portable, can be powered over USB or plugged in, folds down nice and small for storage when not in use. Excellent scans and OCR, although the default settings created HUGE scan files. One disclaimer is that I do relatively “small batches” of scanning. Basically 3-4 times a month I take this out of a drawer, plug it into the wall, and scan bills and other paperwork. So I’m not doin the heavy duty stuff I know a lot of folks use the ScanSnap for. The feeder only has a 20 sheet capacity. But, I love the fact that it fits easily in a desk drawer when not in use.

Good luck!

-Eric

1 Like

I also use one of these Brother and I’ve had no issues. For software though, I use FineReader from ABBYY that has an excellent interface for scanning and good OCR.

1 Like

Thanks all. The Brother is the one I initially looked at (the EU version) as it was recommended by The WireCutter but the ScanSnap range looks indeed much more flexible - will look into it.

The ScanSnap S1300i works well for me.

1 Like

+1 for the Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500, though there are newer models out now. The software is not as good as I want, but ExactScan Pro takes care of that.

1 Like

I just upgraded to the ScanSnap iX1800 and really like it. I had the small, manual feed “wand” style before and the new one saves a ton of time w/the auto feeder. I think I paid $350-400 on Amazon.

Fujitsu has a new scanner out, the iX1300. Small with 20 sheet feeder and duplex. Wireless or USB. $300 on Amazon.