So many options

Apple makes it so hard to decide nowadays…

Should I keep my 2017 MBP that can’t keep a wired ethernet connection via a Thunderbolt dock. And doesn’t always wake up properly?

Or should I go with a brand new M1, that has Bluetooth connectivity issues, problems driving external displays, and f*'s up the internal SSD?

Wish the same company would make the hardware and software, so everything would work properly… Eeeh, wait… :wink:

1 Like

The M1 also suffers from the same issues with hardware docks and Ethernet. I’ve tried two docks from different manufacturers and both have the same problems where they refuse to connect after sleeping. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future MacOS update.

1 Like

Well, that fix wasn’t 11.2.2. Unfortunately.

It’s quite sad, isn’t it? I mean, if you only have USB-C/Thunderbolt ports left on your computer, it would be nice if they’d be functioning.

1 Like

I have absolutely no BT issues (keyboard, mouse, tablet), no Ethernet issues, no monitor issues (other than calibration),…

1 Like

Which doesn’t mean they don’t exist for others. There are way too many reports to ignore the issues with Big Sur and M1 macs. Most of them related to the use of non-Apple hardware. Like usb-c hubs and docks. But with Apple actively promoting the “one cable lifestyle” and not making docks, it’s hard - rather impossible - to avoid third-party hardware.

No problem that the M1 is for early adopters. But it’s getting annoying if Apple also makes it extremely hard to use their “legacy” (i.e. Intel based) hardware.

In this day and age, where lots of people work from home and depend on video for their meetings, the fact that e.g. wired ethernet is not (reliably) working, is a big issue.

Apple being Apple and not communicating about the issues with their OS doesn’t make it any better.

Am I dissatisfied? Hell yeah! If this would have been a bug in some Linux distro that is depending on the work of volunteers, I would still be annoyed. But fully understand the problems they are facing. But this is Apple. A company that asks serious money for “premium” hardware with tightly integrated software. And a company that makes billions of dollars. To make it worse, the issues I currently have are with a Belkin dock that I bought at… Apple!

Anyway, we’ll have to wait and see if the next update (or new hardware) will fix the issue. And what new problems they will introduce next.

2 Likes

You can always buy and try, and send it back if it doesn’t work for you.

That’s why there’s a “I” in the sentence, and I am very happy about it. The crappy keyboards made me stick to a pre-“Butterfly” keyboard. There were also users who never had an issue with their Macs, but the reports of failing keyboards were too many.
I am completely aware that others are having issues, just pointed out I don’t.

or pay more money for a first generation laptop with a different set of problems?

Yep. Well, Apple’s not going to run out of new MacBooks so you can purchase one of those whenever you choose, so why not wait until you are sure what you want to do.

[Raises hand]
I have an Intel Mac mini running Catalina with bluetooth and display issues, and an M1 MacBook Pro running Big Sur with Bluetooth and display issues.

Neither has any issues with Ethernet, though only the MBP uses an OWC USB-C dock as the mini obviously has Ethernet built in.

1 Like

irony1 | ˈʌɪrəni |
noun (plural ironies) [mass noun]
the expression of one’s meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect: ‘Don’t go overboard with the gratitude,’ he rejoined with heavy irony.

I’m using a Vilcome Ethernet to USB C Thunderbolt 3/Type-C Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter with my 2020 Intel MacBook Pro and it has no issues with Ethernet connectivity when waking from sleep. It also has three USB 3.0 ports. Currently $14.19 on Amazon - a lot of bang for the buck. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YH8RQ3F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation

Knock on wood. The ethernet connection via the Belkin dock had been up for a couple of days now. Haven’t rebooted though. And after the initial startup I had to disconnect and reconnect the thunderbolt cable to get it working. But as long as the MBP keeps the connection when running I’m not complaining (too much).