So what is it with Macs taking so long to wake up?

Good to know! Thanks

LOL, even after reading that article, Iā€™m not sure whether or not my Mac mini will ever go into standby mode and if it does, when. Conclusion: Iā€™m really not supposed to care. And with a desktop computer I donā€™t mind. Letā€™s see what happens when I get my first Apple laptopā€¦ (Note to self: donā€™t use the word laptop in conjunction with Apple. It makes you sound weird.)

I also suspect this is about video rendering. The main display is 4K and the secondary one is 1080p. Shouldnā€™t be a problem. But I do remember reading that the M1s detect Dell Displays as TVs and reder the signal accordingly (which leads to somewhat imperfect display). Maybe the GPU is struggling to render the signal in two different formats? So Iā€™ll try waking it up without the dell (1080p) attached.

One other thing to try: create a new user, sign into that user before quitting for the night. See what happens in the morning. That will tell you if thereā€™s an issue with your account. You could also just logout at night and see how long it takes for the login screen in the morning.

My preference is to turn off sleep when connected to power.

Have a look for a app called Amphetamine in the App Store. This will stop your Mac from sleeping.

1 Like

I linked to one called caffeine above. I guess amphetamine is for the hard core non-sleepers. :smile:

As for myself, I donā€™t really want to prevent my Mac from sleeping, I just want it to wake up faster. Maybe there is a drug for that too?

That didnā€™t make a difference.

Good idea. Will try.

Just a quick update regarding the wake-up times: I recently updated to MacOS 11.2.3 and since around then it only takes around 15 seconds for the login screen to appear. It seems to me that this is not due to faster wake-up from sleep (I just tried by manually sending it to sleep and waking it up again, and it took just under 30 seconds) but probably to the scheduled wake-up now working as it should, i.e. when I approach my desk the computer is already awake, just with the displays turned off.

I wonder though: what exactly is supposed to happen at the scheduled wake-up time? My understanding would be that the same happens as when I manually wake it up by pressing a key. But that would include the displays turning on, but that is clearly not happeningā€¦

Just a quick update on this mysterious long wake-up time: I think this might have something to do with RAM. The Mac mini I reported on above was a Mac mini M1 with 8GB RAM. A couple of says ago, I switched to one with 16GB and the problem seems to be gone. It still doesnā€™t wake up as instantly as my MacBook pro when I open the lid, but that may well be due to the monitors requiring a few seconds to wake up.

So my impression is that if your usage is such that you often experience high memory pressure on your 8GB Mac (my old Mac mini sometimes became unresponsive for over a minute while it was busy swapping), then you can also expect delays when waking it up from sleep.

Edit: Iā€™m not sure is this is considered inappropriate, but Iā€™ll mark this post as solution because thatā€™s what it indeed represents, though it is of course true that

Anyway, this is not to devalue all the helpful comments and suggestions in this topic. Anyone interested in better understanding MacOS sleep should read them.

1 Like

Well, it could be the RAM, as you have speculated, but since you are now using a completely different machine, it could be anything. In any case, if youā€™re happy with the new machine, thatā€™s all that really matters.

Amphetamine is essentially Caffeine with some additional features, like keeping the machine awake but letting the display sleep. Caffeine hasnā€™t been updated for a long time.

1 Like