Software to catalog physical media?

Since Delicious Library seems to be done with, what’s the best app for cataloging physical media? We’ve completed a move, and now I’m going through my music collection and trying to piece together what I have and what I may have thought I had. I’d prefer something with a barcode scanner, so if anyone has suggestions, I’d love to hear them.

If you can’t find, or decide to do without, a barcode reader, the Notenik
app is a great way to make a custom database that matches the way you think of your media collections. Being free to use, and implemented as a folder of Markdown files, means you are never locked in. It is good at displaying your data flexibly, as well as importing and exporting to other apps.

1 Like

For music collection, I still find Discogs to be the best. It has a comprehensive database of different releases and notes on the quality from other users. Their mobile app has a barcode scanner too. I’m also a longtime DL user, and the only thing left for me to migrate are my books, if I can reliably open DL and export my list, though since I’m planning to transfer my collection without going through scanning each book again.

1 Like

I really like LibraryThing. There’s an iOS app to scan ISBB barcodes, and it works with books, ebooks, DVDs, and CDs. You can also import data from other sources, including spreadsheets, data is easily exported, and you can customize metadata or add items by hand. Libraries can be public or private. I’ve been using them for decades, and accounts are now free; they used to be paid.

https://wiki.librarything.com/index.php/HelpThing:Addbooks

4 Likes

I’m looking for that feature in the app (I just discovered Discogs recently, and I’m hooked), but I can’t find it. But this is exactly what I had in mind.

I see this app (‎Discographic for Discogs on the App Store), but I don’t know if that’s what you meant.

Thanks for the tip!

Use this link as this is the official app: ‎Discogs on the App Store

1 Like

Thanks. I’m dense. I was looking for a feature instead of just in the search bar! This works great.

I use Neofinder to catalog all my external disk drives. Very feature rich.

2 Likes

I’ve used Bookpedia but not the others in the set. All look a bit behind on the update curve. https://www.bruji.com/bookpedia/new.html

Like @dfay I’ve used Bookpedia for physical books and Ive also used CDPedia to catalog music CDs and DVDpedia to catalog movies.

I’m looking at this post again as I’ve decided to go back to collecting Blu-ray’s. The developer of Pedia is on hiatus and provided no timeline when he’ll get back to developing or maintaining it. Sad to hear about this. It was posted last September 2023.

I use LibraryThing for books, DVDs, Blu-Ray. The iOS app can scan ISBN barcodes

Yes, I’ve seen that. I discovered I can extract out all the data from any of the pedias as it’s an SQLite database. On my list of someday/maybe items is to make a quick simple inventory program to read and use that data. A lot of the stuff in there I don’t need so I’m looking at making a much simpler version with a simpler database schema. No timeline but it’s still on my radar.

Yeah, not a bad idea. The situation with streaming is such a mess that I wish I had followed my own advice years ago not to get rid of my movies. I still have a pile of my CDs, but tracking down physical movies and TV shows is tedious and expensive.

1 Like

So many of my favorite films are not available to stream. Plus being a film enthusiast, I enjoy the extra features and essays that come with it. I even encounter it through music streaming as well.