SOLVED Can't set Obsidian as Default app for MD files: Electron Limitation?

I would like to set Obsidian as the default app to open markdown files but this does not seem to be an option.

I’m keeping all research in DT but my summary research notes in Obsidian (Obsidian has a better editor and I occasionally do want to use backlinks) though I seldom “link my thinking.”

Is there a workaround? I can use iA Writer or Drafts or even TextEdit but I’d rather use Obsidian.

Any advice?

I think that dropdown field towards the bottom can be changed to something other than “Recommended Applications.” That should give you more choices.

Yes, that is what I did and then took the screenshot. Obsidian is grayed out. :frowning:

If I change the dropdown field towards the bottom from “Recommended Applications” to “All Applications” then I can choose from any of the items in my Applications folders, however inappropriate that app might be. :slightly_smiling_face:

It is the universe’s way of telling you to stop using Obsidian!

:stuck_out_tongue:

(I have no real useful info to add, sorry. Good luck getting it sorted!)

You are correct! I made the first “other selection” but failed to do so on the second screen. I should have noticed that second screen option, my bad. Thanks!

1 Like

I tried this solution, and it doesn’t work. Obsidian opens, but the markdown file doesn’t open.

An alternative solution:

I have not tried it.