Sonos - Playbar.... Use With a Computer?

Hi All…

I am considering using my Sonos Playbar as computer speakers. They sound great attached to my TV in the Family Room and I think they would make a nice addition to my computer setup.

Someone told me that if you sit too close to these, as a typical computer distance, they will not sound as good. He said sound bars are meant for entire rooms and to be further from your ears… Any truth to this? I know I can just try it out and see, but figured I’d ask :slight_smile:

I would love to repurpose these for my computer, so please weigh in!

How are you planning to connect the audio to your computer?

My playbar only has a Tosslink and a HDMI connection.
The only way I can send audio to it is via the Sonos app…

I have the CalDigit T3 and it has the Optical (Toslink) input! I was totally surprised to see it and that’s why I thought to use it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lucky you!
I cant use ours with the current TV setup and moved it to the living room. I sounds “ok” but less then two HomePods…
Saving for that new Marantz streaming receiver and some nice speakers :slight_smile:

There are may different small devices called “digital audio extractors” that can pull sound to/from HDMI feed and convert to/from digital optical (Toslink) or analog (traditional RCA jacks).

The actual sound from a soundbar varies greatly with the design. Some try to fully emulate 5.1 surround sound, others are more typical stereo 2.0, 3.0 or with wireless subwoofers they can provide 2.1 and 3.1

There also are few models with up-firing speakers that can provide a 5.2.1 Atmos effect.

x.y.z: x=number of main speakers, y=number of up-firing or ceiling speakers, z=number of subwoofers

2.0: Basic stereo (left and right channel)
5.1: Canonical surround sound (left, right, center, surround-left, surround-right, subwoofer)

Most common soundbars (like Sonos or other retail brands) have a built-in amplifier with a Toslink or HDMI input/output, but there are higher-end, higher-quality soundbars that are passive and have speaker binding posts to use with an external amplifier (stereo receiver).

The final result is a combination of choice of hardware, method of connection, amplifier, and adjustments to setup/configuration.

How they sound is totally subjective - really no way to determine what you like other than listening to them. Unlike displays and computers, quality is not necessarily proportional to price, but like everything else, if you pay more, you’ll most likely get a much better quality result.

1 Like