Soo, what software did you end up buying on Black Friday / Cyber Monday?

Likewise – but I can’t decide if my savings were infinite or zero (saving nothing off $0).

2 Likes

I have the MacSparky Photo Guide and it is terrific!

I also have both PhotoLab and (now) Topaz. PhotoLab is unquestionably the better choice for DSLR RAW images from supported cameras and lenses but nowhere near as useful for unsupported cameras or scanned images.

In other words, PhotoLab takes the good (modern RAW) and makes it great. Topaz can actually get pretty close, and sometimes even better, with the same source material. However, if you’re starting with the bad — typically scanned negatives/slides — then PhotoLab is barely better than Apple Photos, whereas the Topaz suite can make something of most. I’ve also used Topaz Sharpen AI on a DSLR RAW image that I just missed focus with. DxO’s incredible RAW engine cannot fix that, but the Topaz product could. Also, sometimes you need heavy noise reduction only on part of an image. Again, PhotoLab is no use here. Topaz to the rescue.

3 Likes

I had been waiting for Neural DSP’s Tone King plugin to go on sale, so I picked that up for 50% off.

https://neuraldsp.com/plugins/tone-king-imperial-mkii

2 Likes

Good to know! One of the more enticing things on my Someday, Maybe list is doing something meaningful with a giant box of negatives and slides I inherited, and which are likely to need some TLC.

This is one of the things I like about Topaz, along with being able to dial back the amount of noise reduction and sharpening if the resulting image looks overly processed.

1 Like

Where did you find a discount?

I’m still on v5 and thought about upgrading if I could find a discount (which I could not).

I didn’t. I had hoped for one, and waited. But when there wasn’t I just went ahead and bought it.

1 Like

I ended up buying full licenses of apps that I’ve used in Setapp for the last year and then dumped my Setapp subscription. Go figure.

CleanMyMacX
TextSniper
Downie
Permute
Session

2 Likes