Soulver - Free trial on iOS App Store?

How is Soulver offering a 30 day trail for the iOS app. I thought that wasn’t allowed in the App Store?

I think rule 3.1.1 applies?

• Non-subscription apps may offer a free time-based trial period before presenting a full unlock option by setting up a Non-Consumable IAP item at Price Tier 0 that follows the naming convention: “XX-day Trial.” Prior to the start of the trial, your app must clearly identify its duration, the content or services that will no longer be accessible when the trial ends, and any downstream charges the user would need to pay for full functionality. Learn more about managing content access and the duration of the trial period using Receipts and Device Check.

Interesting, I wonder if this is new? I don’t ever remember seeing a free trial before.

Omni have done this for years on IOS, You don’t need to commit to anything or put your card details in.

The first 30 days the app is fully functional, from the 31st day it’s in read only mode.

This is gonna sound snarky @jcarucci, I promise it’s not meant as such.

Omni offer this option (see my previous response) Omni also offer Upgrade pricing in the iOS App Store, another thing that people think is not “allowed”

I wonder how many of us have read the “rules” (I know I haven’t) and believe that we know what is and isn’t allowed. Part of that is Apple intransigence on being clear about what the rules actually are, but also the myths that extend into the articles and podcasts out there.

I haven’t read the rules, I just remember reading stories about how the App Store doesn’t allow free trials. But what those folks are really saying is that they don’t allow the same free trial system that they have on the Mac. Where you can disable the app after the trial period. The way I understand this in app purchase system is that the app has to continue to work in at least a read only mode.

1 Like