Spark promising "great features to come"

Okay, maybe I’m reading way too much into this, but since we regularly talk about email software, I couldn’t help but notice that the release notes of v2.9.10 of Spark on iOS promises “great features to come” and that 2.9 is not far away from 3.0.

I hope, hope for finally good task integration, like Airmail does. Exposed back links to individual conversations with just a click. Pretty please with sugar on top :sweat_smile: I’d be even willing to pay for a Spark that does this (I would keep paying for Airmail or Newton if they, you know, worked as they should).

1 Like

Darn, their TestFlight is only running 2.9.10: https://testflight.apple.com/join/O2wj7i0x

Apparently they have an Early Access program. I wonder if anyone here is in it and at leave to discuss…? https://insight.readdle.com/

1 Like

Thank you for pointing me into that direction, I am definitely applying right now :grin:

1 Like

To my knowledge that is their “old” beta. They started using Testflight for iOS 14, and that’s where they primarily post their newest stuff.

3 Likes

Got an answer right away. They give the same TestFlight link which I guess is the standard one for Spark. So, I don’t know more.

1 Like

I gave Spark a try again this week. I really like a lot about the app. The deal-breaker for me is that their links create a PUBLIC URL to an email message. I like to link to client-related emails and the idea of using a public URL for those things gives me night sweats. Hey Spark power users, am I missing something here?

3 Likes

A little, but not much. And you hit the nail on the head with my ONE, biggest gripe with Spark.

Those private back links do exist, but to get them, you need to export the email to OmniFocus / Things / whatever. The link Spark gives you is then PRIVATE, and not the public ones which are used for the collaboration features of the app. It behaves like classic Mail or Airmail back links. (Like you, I would never use those public links.)

BUT… those links only appears in the note field of the task, which is sent to the inbox of the task manager. Which is horribly clunky, because you have to file the task manually, AND you can’t even copy it from the dialog box Spark shows you when creating the task! (Even if only you could access them that way, you could Keyboard Maestro your way around it but no – the text is non-selectable)

This is insane because those links do exist, they are created by the app, but you cannot access them in any way unless you send the email to your task manager’s inbox. Exposing those links more easily is such low-hanging fruit, it drives me crazy it’s not there.

I hope this changes with 3.0 (if that’s indeed on the horizon).

2 Likes

Update: this is the regular Spark beta program, so you can join through it, and you get the betas as they are released. Hopping onboard now.

1 Like