Specific emails keep going to spam folder

Brett Terpstra’s newsletter keep going to my spam folder on iCloud email.

I keep moving them to the inbox, but to no avail.

I also added the address to the Contacts app, but there’s no change.

Anyone know how to change this?

I have had this problem many times. Suddenly emails I have received for months or years end up going to Spam. I keep moving them, hoping Mail will learn. Then it just stops happening. But it’s usually just not one email, it will usually be a few of them that it thinks are suddenly spam. So, I am of no help, other than to say I have had this happen many times over the years and it always just goes away on its own.

1 Like

@RunningBoris , I totally agree. I have the same experience, and not just in my Apple account. Right now I’m finding email that has been successfully delivered for years suddenly being thrown into the Junk folder.

Except for continuously moving this stuff back to the Inbox (the only sanctioned way to tell Mail that a message isn’t spam), there is nothing that can be done about this. I have scoured the internet and Apple’s help, and I couldn’t find anything.

On the other hand, email is far more complicated than it seems. It’s possible that the mailer that Brett is using for his newsletter is not set up with the latest anti-spam protocols, or that it’s been added to the “known spammer” lists that companies use to deal with spam. Those are things that the recipients cannot control.

For example, some of my clients use Mailchimp, and they’ve been a showing new warning to their users about needing to “authenticate” their domain names to ensure that their Mailchimp mailings will get properly delivered to Gmail and Yahoo (if I remember correctly).

3 Likes

I have this problem as well (and one is with the aforementioned Brett Terpstra emails).

But even worse are the emails I never get. As one example, I subscribe to the electronic version of the Atlantic. I never receive the email that a new edition is available. It is being cut off somewhere upstream.

1 Like

I think others may have hit the nail on the head.

Failure to configure mail servers (like DKIM records) and/or significant numbers of people marking emails as SPAM could be causing this.

2 Likes

This is why I mostly switched away from Apple Mail. I had one small company send a verification email. I never got it, emailed their support, they said Apple Mail always blocks them, so don’t use it. I know there were others in the past where I had to use a different email because they wouldn’t go through using Apple.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback here. I just cross
posted to Brett’s Discourse. Seems the most appropriate place: https://forum.brettterpstra.com/t/issue-with-newsletter-landing-as-spam/2045

Check for the filtering at the email website not in your mail client.
If nothing helps create a rule at the web version of your email (example Gmail.com) and set it to always move that email address to the inbox.

2 Likes

Right! Of course. Thank you. Brett said it should be fixed, but I’ll do that

1 Like

Reply from Brett on his forum:

It seems to work now for me at least