Spoken content in accessibility keeps stopping

Hi all,

A normal part of my workflow is on occassion to highlight a portion of text in an article or whatever and using the [Option + Esc] buttons my Mac will read that text to me using Text to Speech.

Now for some reason I have noticed that lately (in the last couple of days, this has begun to randomly stop reading the text and end the application prematurely

I have no explanation for this but it is highly irritating and messing with my flow.

It appears that if I attempt to do anything else on screen it is stopping the sound. I was for example able to have the screen read this whole message all the way through. But, the moment I touched the magic trackpad to do anything else whilst it was reading, it stopped.

It never used to stop.

I say someone one youtube suggesting that I delete various sound files and then restart the Mac. I tried this and it has not worked.

Naturally I have had several full restarts and this has not had any affect either.

I am wondering if this awesome community has any advice?

I have a new Mac Mini M2 which I migrated details from my older MacBook Pro 2015. Not sure if that has any bearing but I thought that I would mention it anyway.

1 Like

I have the same problem from last weekā€¦ Do we know why??

1 Like

I wonder if itā€™s something that happened with the latest update that I maybe didnā€™t pay attention to. Either way, itā€™s comforting to know that I am not going mad and itā€™s not just happening to me.

1 Like

The same thing is happening to me and it just happens randomly, even when I do not touch my track pad.

How long has it been happening to you? Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s a recent thing or if itā€™s been going on for quite some time.

For me itā€™s only been happening recently. I certainly donā€™t remember this being a problem before. Itā€™s a significant part of my workflow, so itā€™s very irritating.

Yep, I heavily rely on it too, but itā€™s been acting up for the past couple of weeks. Itā€™s driving me nuts, and Iā€™m on the hunt for a fix because I really donā€™t want to resort to using some third-party software.

1 Like

Could someone please assist? This is becoming quite frustrating now!

I am running the latest beta of Sonoma (Version 14.4 Beta) on my Mac mini M2 and I am not experiencing this problem. I am running the previous beta of Sonoma (Version 14.3 Beta) on my MacBookAir M2 and itā€™s working fine there. I donā€™t have any answers for you but I thought this info might help. Good luck. :grinning:

I have found that so far the one way around it is to highlight the text I am trying to hear and then use the Right click of the mouse method, followed by ā€˜Speechā€™; ā€˜Start Speakingā€™.

So far I have found that I can get on with other things WITHOUT it stopping working.

The method where I use Option; Escape is still messing about.

I also have ā€˜PopClipā€™ installed and have added the ā€˜SAYā€™ action, meaning that all I need do is highlight text and then ā€˜Sayā€™; becomes an option. I am frustrated by the speed of the speech and want to increase that, but thatā€™s a problem for another dayā€¦ so if anyone can help with that Iā€™d welcome it.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been seeing the same problem since I installed Sonoma Iā€™m pretty sure. Iā€™ve also had a odd issue with MS Teams and not being able to read its text either.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/forum/all/ms-teams-business-cannot-be-read-by-mac-spoken/b2737176-02ce-4a2a-a26d-848598a9ef39?messageId=c0276e17-b4eb-4c64-bc3d-987d4d190a24

Iā€™ve also found your resolution of using the ā€œStart Speakingā€ option by right clicking. Additionally, Iā€™m playing with creating an applescript to read the content of the clipboard: say (the clipboard)

That said, I think the pattern Iā€™ve seen (mostly) is if your focus changes from the cursors standpoint. If you donā€™t move at all, it stops speaking less I think.

1 Like