Stephen Hackett's iPhone homescreen

First photo of @ismh I’ve seen. Handsome fellow!

I’m curious how Stephen, and other religious folks, use a Bible app. It’s on the home screen so I assume it’s used very often. How?

I’m nonreligious myself, but I am not interested in proselytizing my nonreligiousness - I respect others’ beliefs. In particular, I’m interested in learning more about the Bible (and other holy scripture) as a tool that believers use, rather than a book they read.

I’ve lately started thinking about how the web has become a terrible medium for reading, and wondering whether I should just subscribe to print newspapers and/or magazines. Even the Kindle app is showing disturbing indications of noisiness. It has notifications now and gamification points. Why the heck would I want a book to send me notifications or give me points?

What’s great about this particular Bible app? I assume there are plenty of other Bible apps out there; why this one?

3 Likes

I have 3 Bible Apps! The more the merrier, haha, but they all have different uses.

The one that Stephen is using is made by YouVersion. This particular apps is nice because it has the ability to become of being community based. Sharing Bible readings plans with friends and it has 2,034 versions in 1,381 languages. For me personally, I use it for quick reference of the NKJV.

The other apps I use are Logos
I have purchased several commentaries, packages, etc that are in there for Bible study.

Orthodox Study Bible
This one is mainly because it has some commentaries in here and it has the Old Testament according to the Septuagint version.

Catena
Another Bible App and draws heavily from the Early Church Fathers with commentaries. UI is nice, easy and quick for my needs.

Not to get to preachy for a forum post - If you’re interested in learning more about the Bible, my recommendation is to begin with the Gospel of Saint John.

On another note…awesome home screen @ismh ! I keep seeing more people putting the call icon up in the top and not in the dock. But also seeing the camera icon in the dock more frequently. How is that in terms of your usage? Always curious on the row or column placement if it has any effect on workflow

3 Likes

I also have the YouVersion Bible app; I use it because it’s faster than web searches for quick lookups. I don’t do intense reading with it often. It’s the most popular Bible app (I think) and works well, so I only shopped around a bit as my use is limited.

And I’ve got the camera in the same lower right spot, too it feels the closest to the lock screen camera icon, natural.

I was gifted a Wired subscription and I am absolutely floored by the amount of advertisement. Feels like 50% of each 'zine (it is probably less, but the ads are LOUD). I will not be resubscribing for print.

Reminds me of when I used to get PDFs of Macworld magazine. The first thing I’d do is delete all of the pages that were full-page ads, which cut it down greatly in size. The problem was those ½-page ads.

1 Like

Below are screenshots of my two pages on the iPhone. I use Logos Bible Platinum Reformed version. I use it every morning for my devotional times from 6-6:30 and then often when researching for various presentations. I have in effect an entire seminary library on my devices so that I have access to Hebrew and Greek texts, illustrations, maps, commentaries, an of course much more. I use the iPhone version in church for reading along with the sermon.

Although not directly related and for what it is worth, here is my iPad screen. I only use one page on the iPad.

1 Like

At least print ads don’t slide into view when you’re reading a paragraph.

2 Likes

I’m reading through it in chronological order this year, with a goal of daily reading.

2 Likes

Bingo! It’s why I have it there.

2 Likes

Makes sense — and a simple answer too. Any app that’s used even 1x/day is worth keeping on the home screen.

1 Like

I use two Bible apps, including the one that Stephen has on his home screen. On thing I appreciate about that app is how I can choose from a multitude of translations in many different languages. Some of the translations also have available audio. I use that feature to listen to the Bible (in the background or foreground), rather than keep my eyes on the screen. If you try that feature, it’s good to know that it is not a machine-generated voice, and the different translations can use different readers.

The other one I use is ESV, which is only one translation. But it has a good audio voice.

1 Like