Steps count and display in a widget

I wish to display the number of steps I take easily on my iPhone (Widget) and Watch (complication)

Apple Health doesn’t seem to have a way to do this natively, unless I’m missing something.

I looked at Pedometer++ but the step counts vary wildly from the Health App, whether I merge the Watch data or not.

Duffy allows me to look at the Health Step count on my iPhone and is almost perfect, but no widgets. Bizarrely though there is a complication for the watch.

There are other options which require subscriptions. I don’t wish to pickup per month subscriptions for this, or those which are very annual and expensive. I appreciate the value of subscriptions, but I’m looking for an app which will simply display the actual step count from Health in a widget and I’m amazed there’s not something reasonably priced available.

Does anyone have suggestions please?

I am also interested in this.

1 Like

If you open the stock Fitness app on your Watch, the screen after the move/exercise/stand screens shows your total steps so far for the day.

The Fitness app on the iPhone shows steps on the summary page, with more info if you go deeper.

There doesn’t seem to be a way to show it on a Fitness widget, though.

1 Like

Personally I find the Health App’s display of step count (on my iPhone, Watch, and iPad) to be adequate for my needs. On the Summary page I get this Tufte-esque Sparkline display for my post-lunch walk today

Digging deeper there is a bar chart of that walk

Comparison over the last few weeks; I have been nursing a knackered knee since at least 18 December 2023 and only now able to engaging in “walk hardening”.

Today’s highlight

And finally the data points

I have a criticism in that the data points are not aggregated corresponding to the “Outdoor Exercise” setting on my Apple Watch. For that I am expecting to pull the entire export.zip data into R and produce my own aggregate results.

Thanks, that’s what I’m looking for though. I know I can get to it through the fitness app, but it’s a long way round instead of just having something glanceable.

2 Likes

Thanks, I understand it’s all there in the background if I need it, but I just want something glanceable on my Home Screen.

Try FitnessView or WirdgetSmith. Both have several designs to show the steps. Also as complication on Apple Watch.

Perfect thanks. I didn’t even consider Widgetsmith, I should have know.

Also have a look at Peak - it’s got some great widgets for displaying fitness data.

1 Like

It’s strange that the Apple fitness app doesn’t have a phone widget or watch complication to show steps. It’s a very fitness popular metric.

2 Likes

Agreed.

If you remember when Apple announced the Watch, they played down the importance of 10,000 steps and made a big deal about the Green ring and the fact that it adapts over time dependent on your fitness level. I wonder if it’s something to do with that?

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised.

Here’s an article I saw recently: What Science Says About Walking 10,000 or 20,000 Steps a Day

I found this detail interesting:

“The 10,000 steps a day target seems to have come about from a trade name pedometer sold in 1965 by Yamasa Clock in Japan,” Bottoms said. “The device was called “Manpo-kei,” which translates to ‘10,000 steps meter.’ This was a marketing tool for the device and has seemed to have stuck across the world as the daily step target.”

I have this on my watch, using the Modular complication and Activity Tracker Pedometer ‘Last 7 Days’ widget. I have not subscribed to the ‘Pro’ level.

2 Likes

For those talking about exercise sensibly, it was always sold as a way to get people moving who weren’t.
I have this problem when I go out walking with my Wife and Daughters, they saunter along, and it does absolutely nothing for me, I need to stretch my stride and get a sweat on.

2 Likes

I created a shortcut that pulls in the information I wanted to see …

• Find (All Health Samples) where (All) of the following are true
    Type is Steps and Start Date is in the last 1 week and Value is not 0
  • Calculate the Average of Health Samples
  • Round Average to Ones Place
  • Set variable Average to Rounded Number
  • (NOTHING)
  • Find (All Health Samples) … Start Date is in the last 2 days and …
  • Set variable TodayS to Rounded Number
  • Show alert (You walked an average of Average steps per day in the past week and you walked an average of TodayS steps most recently)

JJW

There has been discussion recently in the press about the “optimal” number of steps to take each day. One such piece is this from The Guardian in the UK

It too mentions the arbitrary 10,000 objective but with this comment:

Experts found the lowest risk of early death was among people who took 9,000 to 10,500 steps a day.

so while the 10,000 was originally a marketing phrase it does have subsequent scientific backing. Other sources suggested that there is no physical gain from walking more than 10,000 steps/day other than the potential for green therapy is the walk is by rivers, through woods, or other non-built-up areas.

I have been averaging 14K steps. All I can see one benefit for sure. Immediate sleep in under 2 mins and sound sleep till I wake up.

2 Likes

For me it isn’t instant readout of number of steps I want but timed information. How long have I been on my outdoor walk and what is my pace?

The first action on my daily walk is to touch the exercise complication on my watch and start the outdoor walk option. (Followed by Control Centre and putting the watch into swimming mode to prevent false touches from clothing causing the exercise to pause.) As I walk I raise the watch to look at the duration and the pace.

For the moment the pace is only for information but as my knee rehabilitation increases the aim is to get it down from over 20’/mile to 19’/mi or lower as this will improve the Cardio Fitness metric, which currently has me in the “below average” range. I want that up to, at least, the average. Really would like it significantly above that level.

Step count is something for end of day examination. That my movement around the house and tofrm my office also acrues the step counts is incidental but still useful.

Otherwise all the collected data is for longitudanal analysis to check improvements. Annoyingly that analysis has to be performed outside of the Watch/iOS/iPadOS environment by exporting all collected data and using other tools (R for example) to collate and present everything. How such data can be displayed is discussed in the Quantified Self forums at

albeit that those forums are less active than here but have the benefit of also being Discourse based so no new user interface to master.

1 Like

During CoVid-19 lockdown I was averaging 15K and thata over varied terrain including a 45º hill at roughly the halfway point on my walk. My goal is to get back to that by late Autumn; currently recovering from a twisted knee.

Hope you feel better soon.

1 Like