Stream Deck freezing related to dual displays?

A few times each week, my M1 MacBook Air stops taking keyboard input for all apps, except that I can invoke and type into the Alfred launcher and invoke the Keyboard Maestro app switcher. The Stream Deck menu bar item is unresponsive.

This happens with both my wired Apple keyboard and my Bluetooth Apple keyboard. The trackpad continues to work. I have to use activity monitor, with my trackpad, to quit the SD app, and immediately text entry returns to normal.

I’ve tried several things Elgato has suggested, including connecting the Stream Deck directly to the Mac, without a hub, but so far nothing has helped.

Yesterday, I found a Reddit thread from a few years ago indicating there’s a problem with the SD app opening ”in/on" an extended display instead of the main display, at least with Windows. I don’t know if this is an issue with Macs, or how you would control on which display an app opens.

This started happening in the last month or so, and that’s approximately the time I took my M1 MacBook Air out of clamshell mode and put it on a stand to serve as my extended display. (My Eizo is set as the main display.)

Not knowing how you can control which display an app opens in with Mac, I quit Stream Deck, closed the MacBook, and started stream deck. Maybe launching the SD app with the lid open it’s causing the problem.

Any other ideas?

At least with my M1 Pro Macbook Pro and my last Gen Intel Macbook Pro I have never had something like this happening and I have my Stream Deck XL connected via a USB-C hub und also use the laptop screen as secondary monitor.

I would probably have a look at the Console app to check if any log file might be of any help?

Maybe reinstalling Stream Deck App (after exporting your profiles of course :blush:)?

Did you install any update in that last month? I remember I had some weird behavior of Stream Deck when I activated the experimental SD feature in Better Touch Tool. Did you do any kind of configuration that might conflict with the Stream Deck App?

As for defining the display in which an app opens, I believe Bunch offers that capability, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Keyboard Maestro offered something like that as well :blush:.

Thanks. I’ll check the console.

Elgato already had me reinstall, and I’m not doing anything with Better Touch Tool, though there are several triggers there, supplied by the developer. However, the “Streamdeck support enabled” settings item is unchecked.

Elgato had me run some software that sent them a system report and have send it up the chain to a “senior engineer.”

Best,
Russell